It is currently April 18th, 2024, 11:46 pm

Rainmeter does not launch after installation

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Miguelito

Rainmeter does not launch after installation

Post by Miguelito »

I just installed Rainmeter once again after performing a reset on my laptop. However, after installation, the app did not launch even if it is expected to launch immediately after installation. The icon appears on the taskbar, but as I drag my mouse pointer towards it, the icon disappears. Likewise, the skins that is supposed to appear after installation did not appear. I tried reinstalling the application already, but the same thing happens. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
Brian
Developer

Re: Rainmeter does not launch after installation

Post by Brian »

Sounds like one your skins is causing Rainmeter to crash.

Install the latest beta, and hold down the CTRL key while starting Rainmeter to enable "Rainmeter Safe Start".
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/user-interface/#SafeStart

This will start Rainmeter with the default illustro skins. Then you can load the skins you previous were running one by one and see which one crashes Rainmeter.

-Brian
Miguelito

Post by Miguelito »

I tried to do that already, but it's still the same. Also tried to "Run as Administrator" then pressed CTRL, the icon appeared on the taskbar but would still disappear when I drag my mouse toward it. I have no previous skins uploaded since I lost it upon doing a full laptop reset. Lastly, the illustro skin did not load as well after following the procedure suggested
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Did you get this popup when you held the CTRL key down when starting Rainmeter? (This only works on beta versions 3360 or newer)
SafeStart.png
Miguelito wrote: July 30th, 2020, 6:12 am I have no previous skins uploaded since I lost it upon doing a full laptop reset.
Do you have any skins installed in your Skins folder?
It is usually located here: C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\

If you have any skins in your skins folder, then I would suggest deleting the settings file.
This should be located here: C:\Users\YOU_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
Then start Rainmeter again.

If you have no skins folder at all after installing and launching Rainmeter, then something else is going on. This could be from turning on "Controlled Folder Access".
https://www.howtogeek.com/329532/how-to-protect-your-files-from-ransomware-with-windows-defenders-controlled-folder-access/
I would turn this "off" and try again (or you can allow Rainmeter access to this folder). Rainmeter needs write access to your Documents folder.

Lastly, if none of this worked, then I would try a clean uninstall. You should be able to re-install Rainmeter and the default illustro skins should be there when starting Rainmeter.
https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/clean-rainmeter-uninstall/

-Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miguelito

Post by Miguelito »

I just followed all the steps after a month as a few more beta versions were released but the same thing still happens, the Rainmeter icon on the taskbar of my PC disappears when I hover my mouse pointer on top of it. Likewise, the app itself does not open right after installation. I tried it with another laptop and it was a smooth process and currently, it is working very well. The only issue is with my laptop that previously run the application smoothly before I made a thorough reset
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Miguelito wrote: August 24th, 2020, 3:16 pm I just followed all the steps after a month as a few more beta versions were released but the same thing still happens, the Rainmeter icon on the taskbar of my PC disappears when I hover my mouse pointer on top of it. Likewise, the app itself does not open right after installation. I tried it with another laptop and it was a smooth process and currently, it is working very well. The only issue is with my laptop that previously run the application smoothly before I made a thorough reset
The fact that the Rainmeter icon is visible in your taskbar tells us that Rainmeter started. When a skin causes Rainmeter to crash, the icon will remain visible until you move your mouse over it (exactly what you described).

So you have skin that is loading when Rainmeter runs that is crashing the program.

Note, that when you install new beta versions or re-install Rainmeter your current set of skins is not replaced; whatever you had loaded will try to load when the new versions of Rainmeter start.

HOW TO GET THING WORKING AGAIN
To fix this, delete the main setting file for Rainmeter, usually located at 'C:\Users\{yourname}\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini' {yourname} is your Windows logon username. For portable installations the file will be in the folder you where install Rainmeter.

Now when you start Rainmeter, the default 'illustro' skins will appear. Load your desired skins one-at-a-time, and move your mouse over the taskbar icon to make sure Rainmeter has not crashed. Eventually, you will load the skin that is crashing Rainmeter.

You have found your problem skin.

Repeat the process of deleting 'Rainmeter.ini' and then let us know what skin caused the crash or post the code for it here so it can be tested.