It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:32 pm

Weather Skins Not Working

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Ballantyne

Re: Weather Skins Not Working - This is the only allowed thread about this

Post by Ballantyne »

jsmorley wrote: ↑Today, 2:05 pm
So it seems like two steps are needed.

1) Replace all "with \\" in all RegExp options in the various WeatherComJSONMeasures*.inc files.
2) Add ,"\\":"" to the end of #CommonSubstitute# in the WeatherComJSONVariables.inc file.

And bingo...

I am completely lost LOL, and in awe of you guys. Tried to replace ALL " with \\" first, added the ,"\\":""
didn't work, and judging from the automated substitute of Yincognito there are specific ones to change. No idea which.
Copied that code for, the automated substitute, saved it to Resources as UnicodeSubstitute.inc. Refreshed no change, I am assuming am supposed to more with it.
Wasted lots of time worried system was infected somehow since Weather shows January 1 16011200am, and finally found you guys.
Even if I never figure this out, I want to thank you for illuminating my learning with existence of JSON, making me look more at and appreciate coding. My daughter is a coder in London.
I would like to beat this issue. Thanks for you help and my applause to you both.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Ballantyne wrote: July 30th, 2020, 3:26 am jsmorley wrote: ↑Today, 2:05 pm
So it seems like two steps are needed.

1) Replace all "with \\" in all RegExp options in the various WeatherComJSONMeasures*.inc files.
2) Add ,"\\":"" to the end of #CommonSubstitute# in the WeatherComJSONVariables.inc file.

And bingo...

I am completely lost LOL, and in awe of you guys. Tried to replace ALL " with \\" first, added the ,"\\":""
didn't work, and judging from the automated substitute of Yincognito there are specific ones to change. No idea which.
Copied that code for, the automated substitute, saved it to Resources as UnicodeSubstitute.inc. Refreshed no change, I am assuming am supposed to more with it.
Wasted lots of time worried system was infected somehow since Weather shows January 1 16011200am, and finally found you guys.
Even if I never figure this out, I want to thank you for illuminating my learning with existence of JSON, making me look more at and appreciate coding. My daughter is a coder in London.
I would like to beat this issue. Thanks for you help and my applause to you both.
I would stand by. We are still sorting out the best way to attack this. Probably have something ready to try out tomorrow or the day after.
Sensei Le Roof

Post by Sensei Le Roof »

The steps worked... for a while. The time/date problem is only an hour or two old. weather.com did something to how times and dates are referenced, or represented, or something. It's affecting sunrise/sunset information as well. VCloudsWeather2 is still showing what is presumed to be correct weather and forecast data (it's close to what XXenium's WeatherStationHD shows, if not exactly the same).

I hope this helps.
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

jsmorley wrote: July 30th, 2020, 2:07 am
In the meantime, this set of @Include .inc files should get it working for the English language.

Includes.zip
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35770&start=40#p180706

As far as i'm concerned this Include from jsmorley works for the German language as well. A big "Thank you!"!
There are not much non-ascii characters for german -i hope for those languages with far more such characters someone will find a solution.
All your time-consuming work is appreciated!
excalpius

Post by excalpius »

SilverAzide wrote: July 30th, 2020, 12:22 am Yeah, this has been discussed way back when weather.com killed the wxdata feed. The problem with your idea is that weather data isn't free anymore. For Rainmeter to poll weather sites, it would need a paid-for API key, and that costs huge dollars. The only free -- and legal --way these days to get weather data is to scrape websites like Foreca, weather.com, Yahoo, etc., which means any time the site changes the skins will break.
Ah, I figured it was something like that. Thanks for answering my question. :(

I guess that Apple and Google/Android must be paying for the weather data they provide to users through their free store/OS apps and widgets then.
excalpius

Post by excalpius »

dvo wrote: July 30th, 2020, 6:42 am they bought just the weather sites... :Whistle
DOH!

Note that XWidget seems to be using Accuweather for their source of data. They seem to be similar to Rainmeter as far as apps/widgets. I don't know if that helps. Perhaps they too are paying for access to the data.
ryanchuang

Post by ryanchuang »

excalpius wrote: July 30th, 2020, 6:51 am Note that XWidget seems to be using Accuweather for their source of data. They seem to be similar to Rainmeter as far as apps/widgets. I don't know if that helps. Perhaps they too are paying for access to the data.
It's no secret XWidget must has pay Accuweather service,otherwise it won't charge users for pro version for some of (premium) widgets.

Hopefully someone can figure out the time and date in characters format would be showing correctly.
virtual-adam

Post by virtual-adam »

Many thanks JSMorley for all the work you have put into this issue over the years.
Hyperlance

Post by Hyperlance »

Awesome sauce. All working. Thank you very much.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Ballantyne wrote: July 30th, 2020, 3:26 am Tried to replace ALL " with \\" first, added the ,"\\":""
No. My code needs to be pasted into whatever empty .INI file you are using to create the corresponding new skin, just like any other code sample here on the site. The .INC file I referred to is simply an additional empty file that you'd have to create into the @Resources folder of that skin, so that the code can write the resulting substitute in it.

The way one should use my code is:
- set the desired Unicode decimal base interval used by his local language by editing the Number and NumberMax variables in the [Variables] section of the code
- click to build the desired Substitute option / variable which will get written in the .INC file
- open that .INC file afterwards, either manually or by clicking the last line in the skin (the skin itself, not the code, obviously)
- copy paste that Substitute option / variable into whatever weather skin he's using, so it can be utilized to show each weather field value properly in his local language

Bottom line, this should be used to correctly display each individual field value in the weather skin, and NOT to perform replacements in the entire weather.com page source (which would be overkill, as jsmorley pointed out). In other words, it would be just like the CommonSubstitute variable in jsmorley's skin, and since it would similarly be applied to individual (and much shorter in length) string values, the impact of using it would be negligible.

That being said, it seems you're a beginner in Rainmeter and how it works, so it may be wiser to follow jsmorley's advice and just wait for a ready-made solution to be implemented instead of trying things that you appear to not yet fully understand on your own...

P.S. One doesn't even need to use the whole interval substitute, the non-ASCII characters in his language would be enough. The intention in this skin was to make building such a substitute a matter of a couple of clicks, and avoid having to manually write the substitute yourself.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth