It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:19 pm

Problems with positioning on restart.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
joshii

Problems with positioning on restart.

Post by joshii »

Hi, i've used rain meter for a year or so now, but i'm no expert in the coding side of it.

Before i recently did a fresh OS install to windows 7, i had vista and had rain meter on my second monitor. I have now set it up just how i had it on my old OS, but whenever i exit rain meter, and load it back up, all the skins are on top of each other in the top left corner of the screen, rather than being neatly placed around on my 2nd monitor, like i put them, and like they always did on my old OS. Is there something i'm doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Problems with positioning on restart.

Post by jsmorley »

Sounds a bit like Rainmeter is having problems writing to Rainmeter.ini. Do changes other settings, like "skin transparency" survive a restart of Rainmeter?

Tell me a little about how you have Rainmeter set up. What version of Rainmeter? Was it installed with the "installer" or just put in a folder using the .zip version? What is the SkinPath= setting under "Edit Settings"?
joshii

Post by joshii »

Installed with the installer, SkinPath=C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins\, and its the latest version available on main page.
This is how i'm trying to have it set up, but it keeps resetting after a restart etc.
Last edited by Chewtoy on April 4th, 2010, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please, use [hsimg] instead of [img] for large images.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

joshii wrote:Installed with the installer, SkinPath=C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins\, and its the latest version available on main page.
This is how i'm trying to have it set up, but it keeps resetting after a restart etc.
So you have gotten a "portable" install somehow (more than likely you upgraded an old 0.14 version last year), as your skins should be in My Documents on a normal installation. Not a real problem, you are just going to have to right click Rainmeter.exe and under Properties / Compatibility, set it to "Run this program as an administrator". Otherwise it cannot write to the Rainmeter.ini in C:\Program Files.
joshii

Post by joshii »

jsmorley wrote: So you have gotten a "portable" install somehow (more than likely you upgraded an old 0.14 version last year), as your skins should be in My Documents on a normal installation. Not a real problem, you are just going to have to right click Rainmeter.exe and under Properties / Compatibility, set it to "Run this program as an administrator". Otherwise it cannot write to the Rainmeter.ini in C:\Program Files.
Sorry, but that hasn't worked either. :roll:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Let's nail down the problem shall we? Right click one of your skins and change a setting like "transparency". Set it to something noticeable like "50%". Now Exit Rainmeter and restart it. Is that skin still at 50%?
joshii

Post by joshii »

jsmorley wrote:Let's nail down the problem shall we? Right click one of your skins and change a setting like "transparency". Set it to something noticeable like "50%". Now Exit Rainmeter and restart it. Is that skin still at 50%?
Real sorry my replies are taking a while, i've been real busy with work, and haven't had alot of time to myself. I'm really appreciating all your help though.

And yes, changing the transparency and restarting it allows the skin to keep the same transparency.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

joshii wrote: Real sorry my replies are taking a while, i've been real busy with work, and haven't had alot of time to myself. I'm really appreciating all your help though.

And yes, changing the transparency and restarting it allows the skin to keep the same transparency.
Hmm. So it isn't that you can't write to Rainmeter.ini. What multiple monitor management software are you running? UltraMon or Display Fusion?
joshii

Post by joshii »

jsmorley wrote: Hmm. So it isn't that you can't write to Rainmeter.ini. What multiple monitor management software are you running? UltraMon or Display Fusion?
i have display fusion installed, as i did on previous OS installation, i only run it when i fancy a change in wallpapers though.