It is currently March 29th, 2024, 3:42 pm

hey everyone, noob has a question

Introduce yourself to the Rainmeter community!
leeincm

hey everyone, noob has a question

Post by leeincm »

Hi Everyone,

I just got a lovely new 3840 x 2160 monitor, so finally have some space to put skins on my desktop, yay.

So I downloaded Rainmeter, and tried the default illustro skin.

Works very well, just.... the text looks tiny on my monitor.

So, noob question: What's the recommended way to increase skin sizes? I'm happy to play with settings in text files if necessary.

Do different skins have different ways to alter sizing?

Thanks all.
Lee
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: hey everyone, noob has a question

Post by eclectic-tech »

leeincm wrote: April 4th, 2020, 1:43 am Hi Everyone,

I just got a lovely new 3840 x 2160 monitor, so finally have some space to put skins on my desktop, yay.

So I downloaded Rainmeter, and tried the default illustro skin.

Works very well, just.... the text looks tiny on my monitor.

So, noob question: What's the recommended way to increase skin sizes? I'm happy to play with settings in text files if necessary.

Do different skins have different ways to alter sizing?

Thanks all.
Lee
Welcome! :welcome:

There is no simple way to increase sizes of older skins (illustro being one of those).
You can edit the X, Y, W, and H settings of the meters and increase the font size but eventually you will begin to see distortions and/or pixelization.

I am sure balala will jump in and offer a TransformationMatrix solution ;-) but it also has the same limitations.

Some newer skins offer the ability to scale them to almost any size; this is primarily due to the addition of the Shape meter and it's use as backgrounds.

You could try illustra my clone of 'illustro'... ( :oops: shameless self promotion))
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: hey everyone, noob has a question

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: April 4th, 2020, 2:49 pm I am sure balala will jump in and offer a TransformationMatrix solution ;-) but it also has the same limitations.
Well, thanks for the trust (means a lot), but this time I think I don't jump in. First due to what have you described, but even more because there is no need to jump in. illustra having the ability of scaling the skins and this being already done, there is no need for furtherly work with rewriting illustro. Simply using illustra does the job, no need of rewriting illustro.
And don't be shame because of the self promotion, it is useful in many cases. This time extremely useful, fixing the problem simply, by switching from illusto to illustra, which has the same design, but in a much more convenient way, having the ability of easily scaling the skins. Very useful. So, no need to be ashamed. Instead congratulations for illustra.