It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:26 am

⭐ Weather.com

Weather skins
nbtc971

Re: ⭐ Weather.com

Post by nbtc971 »

SilverAzide wrote: June 16th, 2020, 12:04 pm Must be you.... or the location you are using. The current version of this skin doesn't do this, AFAIK.
Just went to the weather.com website and put in 3 different cities and they all returned --- for the high for today. So now I see it's probably not just me but also, it's a weather.com issue.

jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

nbtc971 wrote: June 16th, 2020, 9:17 pm Just went to the weather.com website and put in 3 different cities and they all returned --- for the high for today. So now I see it's probably not just me but also, it's a weather.com issue.

It's just how weather.com works. The high for today is a "forecast", and after a certain point in the afternoon, it doesn't make sense to try to "forecast" the "daytime", as that is now not a "forecast", but "history". So weather.com will return empty, null values for all the "forecast" values for "daytime" after a certain point.

The way I handle this in the skin this thread is about, is like this:

Code: Select all

[MeasureToggleAtNight]
Measure=String
Group=Weather
String=[@ForecastTodayDayTemperature]
DynamicVariables=1
IfMatch=^$
IfMatchAction=[!SetOption MeterTodayIcon MeasureName "@ForecastTodayNightIcon"][!SetOption MeterTodayName MeasureName "@ForecastTodayNightPart"][!SetOption MeterTodayHighLow MeasureName "@CurrentTemperatureMaxSince7AM"][!SetOption MeterTodayPrecipitation MeasureName "@ForecastTodayNightPrecipitationPercent"][!SetOption MeterTodayHighLow InlineSetting "Color | 160,160,160,255"]
IfNotMatchAction=[!SetOption MeterTodayIcon MeasureName "@ForecastTodayDayIcon"][!SetOption MeterTodayName MeasureName "@ForecastTodayDayPart"][!SetOption MeterTodayHighLow MeasureName "@ForecastTodayDayTemperature"][!SetOption MeterTodayPrecipitation MeasureName "@ForecastTodayDayPrecipitationPercent"][!SetOption MeterTodayHighLow InlineSetting "None"]
So if there is no temperature being returned for today "daytime", I use the values for "nighttime" instead.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

nbtc971 wrote: June 16th, 2020, 9:17 pm Just went to the weather.com website and put in 3 different cities and they all returned --- for the high for today. So now I see it's probably not just me but also, it's a weather.com issue.
OK, that's not a bug... what you are seeing is that it is "night", so there's no more daytime forecast temperature. Once it is night (which weather.com has decided starts at 3 or 4? PM), it stops sending "forecast day data" and only sends "forecast night data". Many skins and even the weather.com site then put "--" for the temperature because there is no data (which makes sense as it is a forecast that is no longer applicable). This skin however, and some others, will instead switch over to using "max temp since 7AM" instead of reporting a blank or "--" value (this skin also dims the value to let you know as well).
dgmele

Post by dgmele »

This skin uses a similar idea but replaces the high | low temp with "Low" temp.
Today 1.jpg
Low.png
https://www.deviantart.com/dmele/art/Today-846263935
Last edited by dgmele on June 23rd, 2020, 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dgmele wrote: June 17th, 2020, 1:52 am This skin uses a similar idea but replaces the high | low temp to "Low Tonight" temp.

Low Tonight.png

You can view it at https://www.deviantart.com/dmele/art/Today-845696032
Nice looking skin.
nbtc971

Post by nbtc971 »

Ok that makes sense, I just never noticed it before all the issues started a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the replies.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: June 17th, 2020, 12:26 am[...] Once it is night (which weather.com has decided starts at 3 or 4? PM) [...]
Yeah, it's not about the night, it's the fact that at 3 or 4 PM the maximum temperature and all the "daytime" / "maximum" measurements have already happened and weather.com removes them from its data. So, basically, it's partly what jsmorley said about those measurements being in the past (thus, not suited for a forecast) but also partly about the fact that those represent the "maximums" for the day which only drop in values after 3 or 4 PM. The only odd thing about it is their removal from the data, as the principle on which they are removed is actually quite logical.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: June 17th, 2020, 3:22 pm Yeah, it's not about the night, it's the fact that at 3 or 4 PM the maximum temperature and all the "daytime" / "maximum" measurements have already happened and weather.com removes them from its data. So, basically, it's partly what jsmorley said about those measurements being in the past (thus, not suited for a forecast) but also partly about the fact that those represent the "maximums" for the day which only drop in values after 3 or 4 PM. The only odd thing about it is their removal from the data, as the principle on which they are removed is actually quite logical.
Right. I think their take on it is that "historical" information for today has no place in a "forecast". This goes for ALL the information related to "Today Day" after 4pm. The only item that is a bit of a hassle is the "high" temperature for today, which a lot of folks would still like to display after 4pm. That can be solved by using the value for @CurrentTemperatureMaxSince7AM, which more or less ends up "storing" the high temperature for the day AFTER 4pm, since it is unlikely that it is ever going to get any hotter after that.

So it's up to you and the design of your skin. When all the "Today Day" information disappears, you can use that @CurrentTemperatureMaxSince7AM as the "high" for today, or just put "--" or leave it blank if, like weather.com, you say "who cares what temperature it WAS?".
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Man... are you guys living on the same planet as me? The "maximums" don't always happen during the day, cold fronts and warm fronts move through all the time whenever they feel like. Plenty of nights are warmer than days... doesn't happen real often, but it happens. What DOES happen is TWC stops sending "forecast" data when there's nothing more to forecast, as the day is essentially over and any "day forecast" is not applicable. They call this "night" for some reason, which is a little annoying when the sun is still shining.

Note the high of the day was at 1AM:
Annotation 2020-06-17 124630.png
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: June 17th, 2020, 3:26 pm Right. I think their take on it is that "historical" information for today has no place in a "forecast". This goes for ALL the information related to "Today Day" after 4pm. The only item that is a bit of a hassle is the "high" temperature for today, which a lot of folks would still like to display after 4pm. That can be solved by using the value for @CurrentTemperatureMaxSince7AM, which more or less ends up "storing" the high temperature for the day AFTER 4pm, since it is unlikely that it is ever going to get any hotter after that.

So it's up to you and the design of your skin. When all the "Today Day" information disappears, you can use that @CurrentTemperatureMaxSince7AM as the "high" for today, or just put "--" or leave it blank if, like weather.com, you say "who cares what temperature it WAS?".
Yes, indeed. For all the hassle that parsing weather data causes to us once in a while, I decided that on some stuff (like the inconsistent daylong / dayshort at 3 or 4 AM or the missing daytime / daymax data after 3 or 4 PM) it's best to leave it as it is and as weather.com provides it, and not bother trying to "fix" it. But then, as you said, most folks want things to be flawless from their point of view ... which might not be what weather.com rates as flawless, from a more or less scientifical point of view.

I'm helped in that (just like in the area of lines and measures quantity in my skin) by the dynamic variable and scroll based structure in my skins, which allows me to "reuse" measures and variables. That's truly a godsend for reducing the redundancy in the code, and partially the reason for not bothering with the 3 / 4 PM issue.