It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:54 pm

⭐ Weather.com

Weather skins
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: ⭐ Weather.com

Post by Yincognito »

Wim wrote: May 29th, 2020, 12:07 pmJust visiting a page in IE generally makes that happen pretty quickly.
Really? Is that what you used to "produce the issue" again? :???:
Wim

Post by Wim »

From bringing down the weather, making that screenshot and getting it fixed took under 10 minutes.

Yeah. If i type one or two websites in IE the weather skins go down within anything up to 10 minutes ...
Last edited by Wim on May 29th, 2020, 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Wim wrote: May 29th, 2020, 1:10 pm From bringing down the weather, making that screenshot and getting it fixed took under 10 minutes.

Yeah. If i type one or two websites in IE the weather skins go down within anything up to 10 minutes ...
That's very interesting.

If visiting any page (or a page, in general) in IE produces the issue again, then the whole thing becomes clearer, in my view. It might very well be that the issue is not related to the cookies from weather.com at all, but to some cookies which the Windows API-s that both IE (and possibly / probably Edge as well) and WebParser use to handle the internet thing are creating...

I believe this might be of interest to the developers. Just curious, visiting some random page in Edge has the same result (i.e. wether skins get broken), or does this happen only for IE?
Wim

Post by Wim »

I only tried IE but i can give it a try in Edge. Give me - say - half an hour. I should have some results by then ...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Wim wrote: May 29th, 2020, 1:22 pm I only tried IE but i can give it a try in Edge. Give me - say - half an hour. I should have some results by then ...
Ok, thanks.
Wim

Post by Wim »

It's not exactly half an hour but i think it's safe to say that Edge has no effect; at least not the way i noticed it with IE. Nothing has happened so far and all weather skins are still working the way they should. I loaded and unloaded some; hit refresh a couple of times and closed Edge while deleting cookies and then again without doing so. No results. For the time being i would say only IE has this effect.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Wim wrote: May 29th, 2020, 1:53 pm It's not exactly half an hour but i think it's safe to say that Edge has no effect; at least not the way i noticed it with IE. Nothing has happened so far and all weather skins are still working the way they should. I loaded and unloaded some; hit refresh a couple of times and closed Edge while deleting cookies and then again without doing so. No results. For the time being i would say only IE has this effect.
Thanks - let's see if someone else thinks this is useful. The result is a bit odd (but not that much), since, as far as I know, IE and Edge use the same cookie database and (sorry, my mistake here: IE cookie records are stored in the 'WebCacheV01.dat' file, while Edge cookies are stored in the 'Cookies' SQLite database) they are related in more ways that one. :???:
Wim

Post by Wim »

I'm still wondering about the fact that i only ran into this two days ago. It's being going on for just over a week - judging by some of the posts on this forum.

The point is is that i use Brave as my standard browser but some websites consider it a sort of ad-blocker and don't react very well to it so i use IE as a backup. I've been using IE every day during the entire last week without any trouble while others were posting about their weather going down.

Then suddenly two days ago i ran into the same thing and now just typing a web adress into IE almost immediately brings the weather down; but before that? Nothing.

It doesn't make much sense to me. :confused:
gordonpm

Post by gordonpm »

No idea if this makes any sense at all tbh.

I have 2 profiles for LargeWeather. The default one and one which I modified slightly, but only to change font size and positions slightly.

The default one works, the modified one doesn't :confused:
gator

Post by gator »

To add an extra wrinkle to this issue, I am working on a skin based on foreca.com data. While trying different approaches (and mostly failing), my skin stopped displaying any data. Not unlike what the weather.com based skin on my screen has been doing for the last week. I found that simply deleting the cookies using the IE control panel didn't work, I had to go to the next step and manually delete the cookies accessing them through the same IE control panel. This happened several times last night usually after refeshing my foreca.com skin and getting numerous errors. On one ocassion, the weather.com skin on my desktop also stopped reporting any data right after the foreca.com one failed. I'm assuming this was due to the weather.com skin's auto-refresh ocurring right after my foreca.com skin failed (although it could have been failing on its own).

When manually deleting the cookies, I only had to delete the ones that had some portion of the foreca.com URL string in its title then restart Rainmeter and both the foreca.com and weather.com skins would come back to life.

I also have a yahoo.com based skin on my desktop. It has yet to display the same issue; however, it may not have auto-refreshed prior to me exiting Rainmeter to correct the foreca.com cookie issue. If my foreca.com skin fails again, I will force a refresh on both the weather.com and yahoo.com skins prior to exiting Rainmeter to see if all three fail due to the cookies from foreca.com and report that information here.

Just wanted you all to know that the cookie issue is just affecting weather.com based skins.