It is currently April 16th, 2024, 7:16 am

Weather.com update frequency

Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Community
NeverOutofTune

Weather.com update frequency

Post by NeverOutofTune »

As I was perusing the Terms and Conditions during a signup of the weather.com service, I came across some information about update frequency. Unfortunately, I did not save the exact text and I cannot find it after I log in. What I remember is this:

The current conditions should be updated no less than every 30 minutes.
Current conditions URL = http://xml.weather.com/weather/local/<YOUR LOCATION CODE>?cc=*

A multi-day forecast should be updated no less than every 210 minutes (3.5 hours).
Forecast URL = http://xml.weather.com/weather/local/<YOUR LOCATION CODE>?cc=*&unit=f&dayf=5

The above forecast URL is for 5 days (f=5). You can use f=7 for 7 days. I assume the same update frequency applies.

The Weather.com finding your location code post can help you find <YOUR LOCATION CODE>

I have changed my skins accordingly.
Benjamin Linus

Re: Weather.com update frequency

Post by Benjamin Linus »

:thumbsu:

Very good of you to pass that on.
Now, how to ensure everyone updates their skins accordingly ;)
Buddabelly70

Post by Buddabelly70 »

Benjamin Linus wrote::thumbsu:

Very good of you to pass that on.
Now, how to ensure everyone updates their skins accordingly ;)
What would i change the update rate to? currently mine is set at 900 ( i think) not sure if it is the daily or current.
I have a million excuses, which one do you want to hear?
Benjamin Linus

Post by Benjamin Linus »

Buddabelly70 wrote:
What would i change the update rate to? currently mine is set at 900 ( i think) not sure if it is the daily or current.
For current conditions - in [Rainmeter] section of skin update=1000, web parser updaterate=1800 (minimum!) 30 minute refresh
For forecast conditions - in [Rainmeter] section of skin update=1000, web parser updaterate=12600 (minimum!) 210 minute refresh
NeverOutofTune

Post by NeverOutofTune »

Buddabelly70 wrote: What would i change the update rate to? currently mine is set at 900 ( i think) not sure if it is the daily or current.
From the Rainmeter help:

"UpdateRate
The rate how often the webpage is downloaded. This is relative to the config's main update rate. It is advisable to limit the rate so that you're not flooding the server with constant requests. The web server admins will not like it and you probably get banned from the server altogether if you try to poll the server too often. So, if the main update rate is 1000 (i.e. one second, which is the default) set this e.g. to 60 to read the webpage once per minute."

I don't have "update" defined so it uses the default of 1000 which is 1 second. Thus, an updaterate of 1800 would be 1,800 seconds (30 minutes) and an updaterate of 12,600 would be 12,600 seconds (210 minutes).

I have two measures for my weather skin, one is the current condition and the other is the forecast:

[CurrentWeather]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\WebParser.dll
UpdateRate=1800
Url=#URLCurrent#
RegExp="(?siU)#RCurrent#.*"

[WeatherForecast]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\WebParser.dll
UpdateRate=12600
Url=#URLForecast#
RegExp="(?siU)#RCurrent##RToday##RDay1##RDay2##RDay3##RDay4##RDay5##RDay6#.*"