It is currently April 19th, 2024, 6:31 pm

Need some pointers on a remote perfmon session via rainmeter

General topics related to Rainmeter.
survient

Need some pointers on a remote perfmon session via rainmeter

Post by survient »

Ok I'm still relatively new to rainmeter and perfmon, I've been able to do a lot of things to get local information out of perfmon(windows 7 has a lot of available meters!), but also in perfmon it lets you connect to a remote system. After picking through the source of the perfmon.dll, I was having a hard time finding where I'd insert some code to allow this to go into the scripts for skin configurations:

[MeterName]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=PerfMonRemote.dll (Theorized modified Perfmon plugin that allows remote connections to other systems)
PerfMonRemoteIP=<insert IP or hostname here>
PerfMonObject=<etc>
PerfMonCounter=<etc>
PerfMonInstance=<etc>

A lot of this has to do with the fact that I only know Java and C#, and am still new to python and traditional C++. Any pointers to where I'd look in the source code to make modifications(or merely make an extension of the existing library) would be appreciated.
Current Rainmeter Projects:

HDD Activity Display using Data Rates and Histograms: Done!
Display Remote System Info through Perfmon: In Progress!
Display CPU/GPU Thermal Temps w/o using a 3rd party app such as speedfan: In Progress!
survient

Re: Need some pointers on a remote perfmon session via rainmeter

Post by survient »

What, did I offend somebody? D:

Display CPU/GPU Thermal Temps w/o using a 3rd party app such as speedfan: In Progress!
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

I would not think so :D

But give these folks some time.

I unfortunately find your question beyond my capability to answer, but someone will always be along shortly :D
survient

Post by survient »

I realized as such I was just joking, I'm doing my own research into it, if I can I'll make the modded plugin with some working, any results I get I'll post here(in the appropriate category of course :D). But like I said, any pointers would be appreciated.

dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Well, it appears the devs are busy with RL at the moment, but I'm sure one of them will happen across your post. It will probably be gschoppe.
CorporalMaxSterling

developer available

Post by CorporalMaxSterling »

hey, sorry for posting this in [probably] the wrong place, but I'm a developer and I would love to code some plugins for this awesome little app. I mostly program in VB (classic) and C# as far as compiled code goes... I know RM is written in C++ but if it's just DLLs needed for plugins, I'm sure I can write them in C#, since a compiled DLL still exports API, regaurdless of what language it was written in.

ok so again, apologies for the wanton post, but I can't seem to find any example code to get started (on the wiki or the forums)... any links would be greatly appreciated! I really want to give back to this community, since I find RM very useful for monitoring various things while @ work.

thanks in advance!
gschoppe
Developer

Post by gschoppe »

[PM'd Corporal Max Sterling]

with regards to the original post... i'm amazed that this is the first time i've seen this one, as i check the forum regularly, but it appears to have slipped by me...

what you need to make this work will be quite a bit of coding...

first, for the client computer, you'll need a 'helper app' that provides perfmon info when queried over the network... that could be written in any language, but would likely be easiest in c++, because you could reuse most of the original perfmon code, and just create a preformatted response that can be parsed by rainmeter.

second you'll need a new plugin similar to (or possible edited from) webparser to send queries over the network to the computer running the helper app and parse the results.

---

hope that helps, and any other questions I will try to answer
Chaos_Reign

Post by Chaos_Reign »

I have been pondering this situation quite frequently of late.

I have hopes that Rainmeter will also progress in this direction. As an individual DT tool it is useful, but an expansion of Rainmeter capabilities to become a systems wide monotior is a solution to which I am very interested.

A system where another computer can be monitored at will; individually. A system wide monitoring would draw too many system resources across communication lines, so this is out, but communications across single system to system connection would be most desirable.
On an individual or small home network, the ability to monitor aspects of a system beyond the individual DT will become necessary for the viability of Rainmeter continuing in this software arena.
The advent of N.A.S., media systems, remote computers, and the soon to be "Small network as a complete home and business media solution" calls for Rainmeter to be expanded as a fuller solution, than the individual desktop solution that it currently is.

Ultimately I see Rainmeter to be a viable corporate end solution as well as a single user solution.
A corporate solution should be investigated. This would also open numerous doors to Rainmeter and it's wanted expansion.

Additional considerations to this line of musings?