It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:46 am

[FEATURE REQUEST] WebP support

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
soyelrafa

[FEATURE REQUEST] WebP support

Post by soyelrafa »

Hello, I saw that now are some sites using .webP files for their images. So for downloading them could be cool to have them supported.

If this will not be supported, I suppose a skin that wants to use images from a site that uses webp files should use a converter in the process of downloading, no?
Last edited by soyelrafa on December 4th, 2019, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soyelrafa

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] WebP support

Post by soyelrafa »

After no replies given I assumed that the file was already supported and tested it and I check that yep, it's already supported. But in the documentation, in the image meter part says:
Supported image formats are .png, .jpg, .bmp, .gif (no animation supported), .tif, and .ico.
I know for the next time I have to check by myself instead reading the doc :rolmfao:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/meters/image/
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

soyelrafa wrote: December 4th, 2019, 5:42 pm After no replies given I assumed that the file was already supported and tested it and I check that yep, it's already supported.
Yes, it indeed is. Had no idea about this, but it definitely is. Just tried it out.
soyelrafa wrote: December 4th, 2019, 5:42 pm I know for the next time I have to check by myself instead reading the doc :rolmfao:
The doc in most cases is accurate enough and you can use it with confidence.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Guess some update to Visual Studio for C++ must have added support for loading WebP files. I'll add that to the docs soon so people will know they can download them from both sites that use them.
soyelrafa

Post by soyelrafa »

balala wrote: December 4th, 2019, 6:59 pm Yes, it indeed is. Had no idea about this, but it definitely is. Just tried it out.

The doc in most cases is accurate enough and you can use it with confidence.
Yep, I knew it, that's why I didn't tested it when I saw that webp were not supported. But after no replies I thought that maybe my post were the typical post that is repeated over and over on the forum and everyone is so bored of replying the same thing, so that's why I tested it to check if that's the case.
jsmorley wrote: December 4th, 2019, 7:20 pm Guess some update to Visual Studio for C++ must have added support for loading WebP files. I'll add that to the docs soon so people will know they can download them from both sites that use them.
Ah, I thought that you were already aware of this and that's why you didn't say anything, that's why I tested. Well, glad I think that way and I tested it :D
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

soyelrafa wrote: December 4th, 2019, 9:57 pmAh, I thought that you were already aware of this and that's why you didn't say anything, that's why I tested. Well, glad I think that way and I tested it :D
Thanks for testing. Microsoft sure doesn't make it easy to find out this information as they often describe the underlying technology and generalities, without a simple answer to a question such as "does this support that" type of thing.

jsmorley wrote: December 4th, 2019, 7:20 pmGuess some update to Visual Studio for C++ must have added support for loading WebP files.
Not really anything to do with C++ at all. We use the Windows Imaging Component (provided by Windows and accessed by Direct2D) for image support. Since Windows Vista, Windows natively supports the following codecs: JPEG, TIFF, GIF, PNG, BMP and HD Photo (JPEG XR) encoders and decoders, and an ICO decoder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Imaging_Component#Codecs

DDS and DNG codecs are also supported.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wic/native-wic-codecs

Back in 2012ish, Google provided Microsoft with a webp codec to include with Windows. So Rainmeter has probably supported the webp format for a while (even GDI+, our old rendering system uses WIC).

Some "RAW" formats are supported as well, but may need additional downloads.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829#5049b94b-6a51-e000-9022-28992c75905a

jsmorley wrote: December 4th, 2019, 7:20 pm I'll add that to the docs soon so people will know they can download them from both sites that use them.
LOL :lol:

-Brian