It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:30 am

Reverse Geocoding

General topics related to Rainmeter.
mak_kawa

Reverse Geocoding

Post by mak_kawa »

I am now looking for "reverse geocoding" service that will be used in my slideshow skin. Through the service, address and/or location name will be obtained from embedded GPS information (latitude and longitude) in photo image.

My desired conditions for the service are...

1. Free or practically free.
2. Worldwide.
3. URL including query with latitude and longitude values returns address/location.
4. Sustainable.

Currently I am using Reverse Geocoder API of Yahoo! Japan. The URL structure is like this. https://map.yahooapis.jp/geoapi/V1/reverseGeoCoder?lat=(latitude)&lon=(longitude)&appid=(APIkey)
Results of this service are almost enough and satisfactory for me so far. Its free access limit is 50,000/day (excellent!). My access interval from the slideshow skin is 10-20 seconds, so frequency is not exceeding 10,000/day at all.
But...It is *the* Yahoo!, its sustainability is as you know. :-) Further, this API returns only Japanese domestic location name in doule-byte characters.

I have found moshi's thread in this forum. But it seems to be somewhat out-of-date.

Yes I know, of course, about Google Map API. But its free access limit is (probably) 28,000/month (not day!)...quite insuffcient for me. The access cost over free limit is possibley 0.004$/access(= 40$/10,000 access)?, but I am not fully sure.

Your recommended free reverse geocoding service site(s)?
mak_kawa

Re: Reverse Geocoding

Post by mak_kawa »

Sorry for digging up such old thread for some correction.
Google Map API. But its free access limit is (probably) 28,000/month (not day!)...quite insuffcient for me. The access cost over free limit is possibley 0.004$/access(= 40$/10,000 access)?
This is not correct/accurate.

Fee for the Google Geocoding API is $5.00/1000 requests less than 100K per month. But Google offers the credits for $200 free monthly usage. So user can do request up to 40000 = 1000*(200/5) per month without fee.
My current use of Geocoding API is 500 - 1000 per day = 15000 - 30000 per month, so the free credits seem to be enough for me.

I am now trying the Google Geocoding API for reverse geocoding, and really struggling at the mercy of "fancy" output from the Google Geocoding API. :-)
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

What about OpenStreetMap? They have a reverse geocoding API, I think. The limit is 1 call per second, or something to that effect. Here is their example:

https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/reverse.php?lat=20.00000&lon=0.00000&zoom=2&format=xml
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi SilverAzide

Thank you for response. You are the first responder for my post about Reverse Geocoding. :-)

I have missed the OSM until now. Thank you for head-up. Now I have reached the Nominatim API. At a glance, it seems to be promising. I will implement this to my slideshow skin from now on.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi SilverAzide

I have just implemented the OSM reverse geocoding API to my slideshow skin. Its result has some shortage for my local domestic location name, but works.
And...its xml output doesn't work at least for my locations possibly because of encoding problem. The json output works well with no problem.

Thank you for useful input.