It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:22 pm

[Plugin] Auto arrange desktop icons on right side

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
Aaron

[Plugin] Auto arrange desktop icons on right side

Post by Aaron »

Hello I am looking for a plugin which auto arrange desktop icons on right side any help?

Aaron
Aaron

Re: [Plugin] Auto arrange desktop icons on right side

Post by Aaron »

Did I post at wrong section? :confused:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

This is as good a place as any. Sorry, I don't know of anything in Rainmeter that can interact with desktop icons.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

This is really disappointing.. except my skin my whole desktop is clean and when I save something into my desktop then it's overlap my skin which is on the left side. And I don't think windows is supporting auto arrange desktop icons on right side. So I hope that Rainmeter can do that. :-(
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

How-To: Clear your Desktop without losing access to everything there in 3 steps.

Step1: Right-click the desktop and select "View", uncheck "Show desktop icons"
Step2: Right-click taskbar and select "Toolbars", "New toolbar..."
Step3: From the dialog window that appears, navigate to "Quick Access" and Click "Desktop", then click "Select Folder"

You now have a clean desktop to display Rainmeter skins and still have full access to your desktop via the "Desktop" toolbar on the taskbar.

Toolbar Tips:
To display a scroll~able list of all items, left-click the double-arrow next to the title "Desktop"
To open the desktop folder, right-click the title "Desktop" and select "Open folder"
The right-click menu also offers option on how the list is displayed when expanded
If you double-left-click the title "Desktop", the toolbar will expand to fill your taskbar; double-left-click again to minimize

Now go and customize your clean desktop :thumbup:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

This is perhaps a good solution, but I would still prefer when they are shown at desktop. Because I want configure some systems, not only my. I thought that maybe rainmeter can helps.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Personally, I don't allow any icons of any kind to exist on my desktop. I would say 80% of the time my browser is open, and any icons are just going to be hidden behind it anyway.

I use an approach were I put some Rainmeter skins with information I like on the right, and a dock that opens my carefully structured and maintained Start Menu folders in Explorer windows at the bottom. Then I size my browser to fit while allowing visibility and access to those, and the rest of the desktop is just whatever wallpaper I fancy at the time. (and that changes constantly...)

1.jpg
2.jpg

I understand that if we all liked the same things, there would be one hell of a traffic-jam of course...
chinakomba

Post by chinakomba »

I've done some digging and there seems to be a few ways but you will probably have some hassle...
1st thing I checked was if powershell would be able to move icons (then you could use something like PSRM or just run a powershell script in the background to force it) and came across this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/131690/how-can-i-programmatically-manipulate-windows-desktop-icon-locations, seems pretty promising to me. you could play around with LVM_SETITEMPOSITION and hopefully come up with a script.
2nd thing I checked was if there were any autoit scripts for it and found https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/56913-solved-move-desktop-icons/ you could probably also make a script similar to the code you find in this forum. Good luck
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Hi. I didnt understand how the scripting works but on the links you did provided I have found a tool named "Desktop Icon Toy". Thank you. I hope in future that Windows or may Rainmeter does make it possible, too.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Check out StarDock's Fences. You can arrange your icons however you like, make multiple desktops, resolution-dependant arrangements, show or hide any or all icons, put icons in folders that will roll up (or not), etc. Costs 5 bucks last time I checked.