It is currently April 18th, 2024, 5:31 pm

DarkContextMenu

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
oZone

DarkContextMenu

Post by oZone »

if someone want to try dark mode. I made this plugin.

Only last loaded measure will be used.

DarkMode=1 will enable dark mode for every context menu in rainmeter (not only skins but also rainmeter program itself).

DarkMode=0 and unloading skin with DarkContextMenu measure will disable dark mode.

Example how to use plugin.

Code: Select all

[DarkContextMenu]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=DarkContextMenu
DarkMode=1
Force=1

Code: Select all

[DarkTooltipsSkin]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=DarkContextMenu
DarkMode=1
Tooltips=1
Take a note that this is an unofficial and undocumented method of using dark theme and with future Windows 10 version this plugin might stop working correctly. You are using this plugin on your own risk and I am not responsible for issues this plugin may cause.

You have been warned!

And another important note, I am not programmer and this my first coding in c++, so there may be some issues.

Minimal requirements are Windows 10 build 10.0.17763 (update 1809) and enabled dark theme for apps.
If rainmeter was launched when light theme was enabled, rainmeter will need to be restarted.
Also for skin to show correctly you will need "Segoe MDL2 Assets" font installed, which is installed by default on Windows 10.

With Windows 10 build 10.0.18362 (update 1903) it is possible to use dark mode ignoring system wide theme for apps. (Use option Force=1)

For earlier Windows version it should be safe, as plugin should do nothing.
DarkContextMenu.png
darktooltips.png
If there is some issues, reply here. I will try to fix it, but I won't promise anything.

Related thread
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32984#p164388

Source code, latest releases and latest documentation
https://github.com/ozone10/Rainmeter-DarkContextMenu

Changelog
Add support to dynamically created tooltips
Tweaks
Add tooltips support
Code refactoring, should be more stable.
23.08.2019:
Fixed some typos in skins.
Plugin should be more stable when changing theme.
04.09.2019:
Better support for Windows 10 Update 1903
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by oZone on April 21st, 2020, 5:08 pm, edited 12 times in total.
mak_kawa

Re: DarkContextMenu

Post by mak_kawa »

For me, this plugin and your example skin with "DarkMode=1" do nothing for context menu. Of course, the plugin is listed in the Plugins dialog of Manage Rainmeter as External plugins, and no error is reported. I have tried to Refresh all, restart Rainmeter and restart Windows. And "uxtheme.dll" certainly is in my Windows system.

My Windows10 version seems to meet the requirement. But probably it corresponds to your warning as "future Windows 10 version this plugin might stop working" ? Or am I missing something??

Rainmeter 4.3.0.3298 (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Windows 10 Home 1903 64-bit (build 18362) - Japanese (1041)
Bekarfel

Post by Bekarfel »

I can verify this working on
Windows 10 Pro 1903 64-bit (build 18362) - English (1033)
moshi wrote:there are many Rainmeter skins that aren't really useful, so let's add another one.
jsmorley wrote:I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news. [...] We would be happy to have this happen and would love to work with anyone who is feeling ambitious.
Now the good news.
I lied, there isn't any good news...
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

The difference in our software environment seems to be only between "Japanese (1041)" and "English (1033)"... Or I am doing bone-head mistake?
oZone

Post by oZone »

mak_kawa wrote: August 11th, 2019, 8:48 pm For me, this plugin and your example skin with "DarkMode=1" do nothing for context menu. Of course, the plugin is listed in the Plugins dialog of Manage Rainmeter as External plugins, and no error is reported. I have tried to Refresh all, restart Rainmeter and restart Windows. And "uxtheme.dll" certainly is in my Windows system.

My Windows10 version seems to meet the requirement. But probably it corresponds to your warning as "future Windows 10 version this plugin might stop working" ? Or am I missing something??

Windows 10 Home 1903 64-bit (build 18362) - Japanese (1041)
I have tested on five other PC and no problem at all, so I am not sure what could go wrong.

Could you try new version. It won't fix your problem but should log something, "maybe".
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The example skin doesn't work for me...

Build time: 2019-03-18 11:00:34
Commit Hash: 3593c281
Windows 10 Pro 1903 64-bit (build 18362) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: C:\Users\JSMorley\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\JSMorley\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\JSMorley\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini

2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi oZone

Unfortunately, new version plugin also doesn't work for me. I gave up. But please don't mind. I really appreciate your excellent try for Rainmeter's GUI.
oZone

Post by oZone »

mak_kawa wrote: August 12th, 2019, 12:29 pm Hi oZone

Unfortunately, new version plugin also doesn't work for me. I gave up. But please don't mind. I really appreciate your excellent try for Rainmeter's GUI.
I found out that plugin doesn't like changing windows theme and it won't work with enabled light theme.

If Microsoft document this dark mode apis, it will be easier to fix it.

I am sorry, but for now I don't think I can fix it, I have just started learning c++ few days ago and this is my first "real" coding.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I have my Windows set like this:

1.jpg
oZone

Post by oZone »

jsmorley wrote: August 12th, 2019, 2:24 pm I have my Windows set like this:
Yes that won't work.

The first option doesn't affect plugin.

I think this is limitation when using plugin implementation (at least for my coding), because I have tried somehow implementing dark mode in rainmeter itself and it wasn't affected by windows theme and I could choose which skins will (not) have dark context menu.

I hope that Microsoft will document this and acrylic, blur effects soon.