It is currently April 19th, 2024, 8:25 am

Rainmeter randomly causing mouse stutter while opening some file/folder/app

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
diablek

Rainmeter randomly causing mouse stutter while opening some file/folder/app

Post by diablek »

As the title says.
It doesn't happen all the time, it's fine for an hour or two, and then suddenly when I open some file, folder or app mouse stutters while I move it until the said file/folder or app opens itself. It's happening for a second or two but its annoying!

If I force close Rainmeter this stutter is gone. When I load it again, stutter is here.
If I restart Windows there's no stutter but it comes randomly after an hour or so.
I am using ModernGadgets. Both MG and RM are updated to latest version.
I tried to refresh Windows while leaving all my files and apps intact, it did not help.
Any ideas?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter randomly causing mouse stutter while opening some file/folder/app

Post by balala »

diablek wrote: July 25th, 2019, 3:17 am I am using ModernGadgets. Both MG and RM are updated to latest version.
Which skins of Modern Gadgets are you using? I suppose one of the loaded skins is causing this. Please post a list of the skins you have loaded. Check this list from the Active Skins button within the Manage Rainmeter window's Skins tab (note that might be some skins which don't belong to Modern Gadgets as well).
You can start unloading the loaded skin and after each unloaded skin, check if the issue persist. Yep, this will be a long play, but this way you can find which skin is guilty.
diablek wrote: July 25th, 2019, 3:17 am I tried to refresh Windows while leaving all my files and apps intact, it did not help.
What you exactly mean by "refresh Windows"?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

diablek wrote: July 25th, 2019, 3:17 am If I force close Rainmeter this stutter is gone. When I load it again, stutter is here.
If I restart Windows there's no stutter but it comes randomly after an hour or so.
I am using ModernGadgets. Both MG and RM are updated to latest version.
I tried to refresh Windows while leaving all my files and apps intact, it did not help.
Any ideas?
Do what balala suggests and unload skins one at a time until the problem goes away, then you will know which skin is causing the problem. If you are using the Drives Meter gadget, start with that one first. If the problem goes away, then make sure you do not have any drives that show as disconnected (mapped network drives, etc.). It could also be a case where a drive has spun down to save energy, and there is a brief stutter as the drive is spinning back up.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
diablek

Post by diablek »

balala wrote: July 25th, 2019, 12:00 pm Which skins of Modern Gadgets are you using? I suppose one of the loaded skins is causing this. Please post a list of the skins you have loaded. Check this list from the Active Skins button within the Manage Rainmeter window's Skins tab (note that might be some skins which don't belong to Modern Gadgets as well).
You can start unloading the loaded skin and after each unloaded skin, check if the issue persist. Yep, this will be a long play, but this way you can find which skin is guilty.

What you exactly mean by "refresh Windows"?
ug9VRS9.png
Problem is, when this happens, skins become non-responsive, and also can't open a context menu of rainmeter either. Only way is end task.
I will remove Drive Meter first as suggested by SilverAzide and see if this will occur again.
By "refresh Windows" I mean re installation of Win10 without losing any data or programs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by eclectic-tech on July 26th, 2019, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added image directly to post for future reference
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

diablek wrote: July 26th, 2019, 12:52 am Problem is, when this happens, skins become non-responsive, and also can't open a context menu of rainmeter either. Only way is end task.
I will remove Drive Meter first as suggested by SilverAzide and see if this will occur again.
I just loaded all skins shown in your picture, including Drive Meter and now I let them to run. Let's see how long they will. When something happens, will let you know.
diablek wrote: July 26th, 2019, 12:52 am By "refresh Windows" I mean re installation of Win10 without losing any data or programs.
As you can see, I doubt this might help.
diablek

Post by diablek »

I think I figured it out, partially.
I removed Drive Meter as suggested and it was fine, until I went idle and Windows lock itself.
When I logged back in, the opening of the files started to cause mouse stutter and a tiny but noticeable lag while opening some document.
But this time, skins and rainmeter are responsive (I can open menus).
Interesting.

EDIT: I tried to close rainmeter and when I do, stutter and lag were gone.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

I can't replicate the issue at all.
Yesterday evening I've loaded all indicated skins and left them running for more then three hours. Still worked when I've gone to sleep. I didn't shutdown the computer. just hibernated it, so today in the morning when I've turned on the computer, it still worked. And now after more then one hour since I've resumed it, it still works. So no issue for me at least.
Sorry, it seems I can't help you at this point.
But if you've figured out what to do, its a good point, I believe.
Axinoe

Post by Axinoe »

Can you open task manager and check what your disk usage and average response time are, while opening a file/folder/app?
diablek

Post by diablek »

Axinoe wrote: July 29th, 2019, 7:42 pm Can you open task manager and check what your disk usage and average response time are, while opening a file/folder/app?
When this glitch occurs or in general?
I have SSD so files open pretty much instantly when there's no stuttering.