It is currently April 24th, 2024, 8:14 am

Please force a subfolder in the installer.

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
JelleDekkers

Please force a subfolder in the installer.

Post by JelleDekkers »

Would you guys please change the installer for Rainmeter so it forces a subfolder when changing the installation path? Right now, it doesn't do that, meaning you could install Rainmeter to the root of a drive, or Program Files, for example.

Quite often, we get people on the Discord server complaining about the fact that they can't uninstall Rainmeter and that it's taking up more than it should, in some cases even hundreds of gigabytes. This is all because Rainmeter was installed in a root folder, instead of its own subfolder.

I know this sounds very nitpicky, but making this slight adjustment would save everyone a lot of stress, time and effort.
Jeff

Re: Please force a subfolder in the installer.

Post by Jeff »

some times it's laughable
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Then we would end up with just as many confused, annoyed users who installed it to C:\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.

I see no problem with allowing a user to install it to the root of a drive, as although you would never want to do that in the root of the operating system partition, it's fine on any other drive.

I'm torn. I generally don't like to tell folks how they can and can't do things. The default location the installer puts Rainmeter in is the logical place for 99% of users, and if they want to change that, my assumption is that they have some idea of what they are doing, or maybe they just shouldn't.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

The general problem seems to be the uninstall window actually deleting what it can, but giving an error doing so (??????), and then technology inapt people asking why it still appears in the uninstall window (after explaining our speculation), and when, for example, you wanna continue helping them wit uninstalling, and when you guide them to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Rainmeter or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall to delete what's left, they already left the server with probably the annoyance that a 5MB app isn't gone from the list.

Then there's people who don't want to download the installer to use the Add or remove this program feature thingy which... you can't win em (I suppose the same happens here)

I would be annoyed with Rainmeter/Rainmeter, that's how I accidentally installed my portable copy and I left it that way cause it's funny

Anyways here's another funny one that happened today