It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:48 am

[Bug] WMP with NowPlaying is kind of broken.

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
JelleDekkers

[Bug] WMP with NowPlaying is kind of broken.

Post by JelleDekkers »

So there's a little problem with NowPlaying, specifically with the WMP option. Whenever you close the player, the plugin seems to switch between the last known values when a song was still playing and nothing, constantly.

Here's a video demonstrating this problem.

balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Bug] WMP with NowPlaying is kind of broken.

Post by balala »

JelleDekkers wrote: May 8th, 2019, 8:31 am So there's a little problem with NowPlaying, specifically with the WMP option. Whenever you close the player, the plugin seems to switch between the last known values when a song was still playing and nothing, constantly.
Although there is a known issue with NowPlaying measures when using WMP, which makes WMP to stay unclosed in background (keeping the appropriate process running) while Rainmeter is running, I never saw the skin continuously switching as can be seen in your video. Could you please post a code of the incriminated skin? Would be curious...
JelleDekkers

Post by JelleDekkers »

Could you please post a code of the incriminated skin?
The first skin I used was one of my own (a few people have reported this issue in the comments of a few of my skins), Cleartext (Jelle Dekkers Remix). The second one I tried, to make sure it's not a problem in my skins, was Music Card.

This issue is not present at all times. Sometimes it just makes WMP stay open in the background, other times it does this. Your comment gave me the idea to check if WMP is running in the background while this issue is happening, and it is. One remarkable thing is that it uses about 5% of my CPU, even though it's not really doing anything. This issue also seems to force close WMP when you try to open it, requiring you to either restart Rainmeter or restart the WMP process to be able to open it again.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

JelleDekkers wrote: May 8th, 2019, 6:33 pm This issue is not present at all times. Sometimes it just makes WMP stay open in the background, other times it does this. Your comment gave me the idea to check if WMP is running in the background while this issue is happening, and it is. One remarkable thing is that it uses about 5% of my CPU, even though it's not really doing anything. This issue also seems to force close WMP when you try to open it, requiring you to either restart Rainmeter or restart the WMP process to be able to open it again.
There seem to be an issue with WMP, which, as said, prevents WMP to be completely closed while Rainmeter is running. There's nothing you can do with this I think (unless you're restarting Rainmeter every time you're closing WMP - no too practical)...
However, what I see weird is the Update value of the skin. The Cleartext.ini and CleartextPure.ini skins have the update set to 100, while the "scrolling" skins, to 20. Probably this is required to the scrolling skins, but first try to increase the Update to the default Update=1000 on Cleartext.ini or CleartextPure.ini and check the result. Did this solve the issue?
I don't have the same issue on Music Card.
JelleDekkers

Post by JelleDekkers »

balala wrote: May 8th, 2019, 7:17 pm There seem to be an issue with WMP, which, as said, prevents WMP to be completely closed while Rainmeter is running. There's nothing you can do with this I think (unless you're restarting Rainmeter every time you're closing WMP - no too practical)...
However, what I see weird is the Update value of the skin. The Cleartext.ini and CleartextPure.ini skins have the update set to 100, while the "scrolling" skins, to 20. Probably this is required to the scrolling skins, but first try to increase the Update to the default Update=1000 on Cleartext.ini or CleartextPure.ini and check the result. Did this solve the issue?
I don't have the same issue on Music Card.
It's funny, but adding UpdateDivider to the measures in the scrolling variants fixes the problem in my testing. I've also changed the update to 200 (I think 1000 isn't responsive enough and the meters only update when the measure values change, so it doesn't matter that much in terms of CPU usage).
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

JelleDekkers wrote: May 12th, 2019, 9:56 am It's funny, but adding UpdateDivider to the measures in the scrolling variants fixes the problem in my testing.
If you've got it working well, that's ok. Have you?
JelleDekkers wrote: May 12th, 2019, 9:56 am I've also changed the update to 200 (I think 1000 isn't responsive enough and the meters only update when the measure values change, so it doesn't matter that much in terms of CPU usage).
The default Update=1000 is generally good enough, but on skins having animations, this too much. You have to reduce this value. I think even Update=200 is still too much, but if it does works as expected, it's ok.