It is currently April 16th, 2024, 10:09 pm

Remote Control

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
Ferbstorm

Remote Control

Post by Ferbstorm »

I'm new to Rainmeter, and not even a little bit of a programmer. I've been looking around at skins to see if I can scavenge enough to get the functionality I want, but something really crucial is missing in everything I've found so far: Remote Control.

Anyone have any idea how to make a rainmeter skin respond to either a remote or to a controller? Or, ideally, both?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Remote Control

Post by balala »

Ferbstorm wrote: March 9th, 2019, 1:01 am Anyone have any idea how to make a rainmeter skin respond to either a remote or to a controller? Or, ideally, both?
What kind of remote control are you talking about? Does your computer have one? I'm not sure me at least have heard about a such device. Some details would be great. :confused:
Ferbstorm

Post by Ferbstorm »

This is the remote that I have

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CL3ZXGO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I also have a dongle that makes xbox 360 controllers function. Basically looking for both to function
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ferbstorm wrote: March 9th, 2019, 7:03 am This is the remote that I have

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CL3ZXGO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I also have a dongle that makes xbox 360 controllers function. Basically looking for both to function
Unfortunately I don't know what to say. I don't know those kind of devices. Probably someone who has one will have to help you here.
:Whistle Sorry...
Ferbstorm

Post by Ferbstorm »

really I just need to know if it's possible to set things up so you can navigate a skin with the arrow keys on the keyboard, and then if you can select specific inputs from other devices. I'll learn how to do this stuff myself if I need to, but I don't really want to put in the effort if what I want is impossible from the get go
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

If the remote can be used to simulate mouse movement and mouse clicks, then I don't see why not.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/mouse-actions/

There really are no key / keyboard actions that Rainmeter natively understands, so that isn't useful, but almost all skins use some kind of interaction with the mouse.
Ferbstorm

Post by Ferbstorm »

the remote has a crappy gyro mouse function that I use from time to time, but that's not quite ideal. There's no button based inputs at all?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Ferbstorm wrote: March 9th, 2019, 10:39 pm the remote has a crappy gyro mouse function that I use from time to time, but that's not quite ideal. There's no button based inputs at all?
No, there is "mouse over / mouse leave" and various "mouse click" events.

You could in theory also have a skin react to keyboard events with this plugin:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=18849

Seems to me that that remote from Amazon is pretty much just a mouse / keyboard simulator, so I imagine you could interact about as well with a skin using it as you could with a mouse and keyboard.
Ferbstorm

Post by Ferbstorm »

yeah that's kind of what I'm hoping too. Thanks for the tip!