It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:56 pm

JSBarometer

Weather skins
Wim

Re: JSBarometer

Post by Wim »

Great work. I'm going to download it and tinker with the settings and do all the other things i always do with new stuff. Looks like fun.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Wim wrote: January 26th, 2020, 6:58 pm Great work. I'm going to download it and tinker with the settings and do all the other things i always do with new stuff. Looks like fun.
Great. Let me know if you break it.

I gave up on even considering the unit of measure when I hit Chinese... 毫巴

I went with "ranges" instead, since the possible ranges of pressure are

870 - 1084 millibars
25.90 - 32.01 inches
Wim

Post by Wim »

Works like a charm

German
Baro_Duits_Nieuw.PNG
Dutch
Baro_NL_Nieuw.PNG
If i find something i'll let you know
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Added UV Index values to WeatherComRegExp.inc and to WeatherComCurrent.inc

Get the new .rmskin in the first post of this thread.
Wim

Post by Wim »

I've been trying some language settings, and there are some problems with languages that use non-latin script and especially when they use their own numeral system.

Russian works just fine
Baro_Russian.PNG
So does Hindi (India)
Baro_Hindi.PNG
And Thai
Baro_Thai.PNG
But Hebrew doesn't
Baro_Hebrew.PNG
weather.com:
Baro_HE.PNG
Arabic and Bengali (that's spoken in Bangladesh) also use their own numeral system

Bengali
Baro-bn.PNG
Arabic
Baro_AR.PNG
They both break the barometer; here's the example for Arabic
Baro_Arabic.PNG
Language settings tested: ;ar-KW (Arabic) / he-IL (Hebrew) /bn-BD (Bengali) /ru-RU (Russian) / hi-IN (Hindi) / th-TH (Thai)
I tested some more but it seems to boil down to non-western numeral systems and an issue with regard to the Hebrew alfabet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Wim wrote: January 28th, 2020, 4:48 pm I've been trying some language settings, and there are some problems with languages that use non-latin script and especially when they use their own numeral system.

Russian works just fine

Baro_Russian.PNG

So does Hindi (India)

Baro_Hindi.PNG

And Thai

Baro_Thai.PNG

But Hebrew doesn't

Baro_Hebrew.PNG

weather.com:
Baro_HE.PNG

Arabic and Bengali (that's spoken in Bangladesh) also use their own numeral system

Bengali
Baro-bn.PNG

Arabic
Baro_AR.PNG

They both break the barometer; here's the example for Arabic

Baro_Arabic.PNG

Language settings tested: ;ar-KW (Arabic) / he-IL (Hebrew) /bn-BD (Bengali) /ru-RU (Russian) / hi-IN (Hindi) / th-TH (Thai)
I tested some more but it seems to boil down to non-western numeral systems and an issue with regard to the Hebrew alfabet
Well, not much I can do about that. I have to be able to do "math" on some harmonized number. I doubt I'm going to sweat converting Bengali too much... Hebrew feels like it comes down to how I extract the number from the overall string. Everywhere else is "value label" and Hebrew is "label value".

The intent of this skin is really "imperial or metric", I think I've pushed this about as far as I can.
Wim

Post by Wim »

Sounds reasonable enough

Besides: part of the thing with Rainmeter is doing things yourselves. I like messing around with it (though i'm not much of a coder) and finding a solution. It's the reason why i kept using it for ten years.

So as an example

Hebrew
Baro_Israel.PNG
Bengali
Baro_Bangladesh.PNG
As an user i'm used to 'one-size-fits-all english-only' sort of output from especially weather sites and since i like to have my skins in my own language i've spend a lot of time translating stuff. Some of the alterations and substitute strings i've made where horrendous, but they were fun to do and (ultimately) worked.

Weather.com is doing the opposite and localizes it's output to an extreme extent. You've gone a considerable way in implementing that in your skin but I would still think that it is perhaps not the task of the coder to offer all languages and formats in a skin, but leave that to the user.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Nice work!
Wim

Post by Wim »

Thnx!

As an user you really can make it anything you want ... hahahaha
Baro_Dontknow.PNG
shellerik

Post by shellerik »

What a wonderful idea for a weather skin! I was able to easily customize it to fit in with my existing skins.