It is currently April 16th, 2024, 11:54 am

Weather about to break Kaelri's Enigma skin (again)?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Weather about to break Kaelri's Enigma skin (again)?

Post by eclectic-tech »

sosen wrote: November 11th, 2019, 11:48 am Hi all,

First - big thanks to eclectic-tech for making Enigma weather works!

Second - did you notice that weather for second and third day is wrong or this happens only to me?

I checked few cities, all the time got wrong data, any ideas how to repair this?
There is nothing wrong with your system or the skin...

The "Extended" Enigma weather skin shows the AVERAGE TEMPERATURE for the second and third days.

I wouldn't recommend changing this... :uhuh:

But to change this you would need to edit "Enigma\Sidebar\Weather\Weather.inc" and change the "MeasureName=MeasureWeatherDay2Average" and "MeasureName=MeasureWeatherDay3Average" lines for day2 and day3 meters to show just the high "MeasureName=MeasureWeatherDay2High" or add a second measurename, "MeasureName2=MeasureWeatherDay2Low", to show both high & low.
Of course change the day number to 3 for the third day. :D
sosen

Post by sosen »

eclectic-tech wrote: November 11th, 2019, 5:01 pm There is nothing wrong with your system or the skin...

The "Extended" Enigma weather skin shows the AVERAGE TEMPERATURE for the second and third days.

I wouldn't recommend changing this... :uhuh:

But to change this you would need to edit "Enigma\Sidebar\Weather\Weather.inc" and change the "MeasureName=MeasureWeatherDay2Average" and "MeasureName=MeasureWeatherDay3Average" lines for day2 and day3 meters to show just the high "MeasureName=MeasureWeatherDay2High" or add a second measurename, "MeasureName2=MeasureWeatherDay2Low", to show both high & low.
Of course change the day number to 3 for the third day. :D
I still don`t know all details about the code but I manage to do this, thanks for help ;)

If someone is interested, you can find code and result below:

Code: Select all

;---------------------------------------------------------------------
; METERS

[Background]
Meter=IMAGE
MeterStyle=StyleSidebarBackground | StyleWeather#Variant#Background

[Border]
Meter=IMAGE
MeterStyle=StyleWeather#Variant#Border | StyleWeather#Variant#Border1

;-----------------------
; DAY 1

[Icon]
Meter=IMAGE
MeterStyle=StyleWeather#Variant#Moxa
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherIcon

[Temp]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleWeather#Variant#Text
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherTemp
MeasureName2=MeasureWeatherUnitTemp
Text=%1°%2
LeftMouseUpAction=[[MeasureYahooWeather]]

[Desc]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherDesc
MeterStyle=StyleWeather#Variant#Label

;-----------------------
; WIND

[WindSeparator]
Meter=IMAGE
MeterStyle=StyleWeather#Variant#Separator

[WindChill]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherWindChill
MeterStyle=StyleWeather#Variant#Text | StyleWeather#Variant#TextSub
Postfix="°"

[WindChillLabel]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleWeather#Variant#Label | StyleWeather#Variant#LabelSub
Text=Wind Chill

[WindSpeed]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherWindSpeed
MeasureName2=MeasureWeatherUnitSpeed
Text=%1 %2

[WindSpeedLabel]
Meter=STRING
Text=Speed

[WindDirection]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherWindDirection
MeasureName2=MeasureWeatherWindDirectionCardinal
Text=%1° (%2)

[WindDirectionLabel]
Meter=STRING
Text=Direction

;-----------------------
; ATMOSPHERE

[AtmoSeparator]
Meter=IMAGE
MeterStyle=StyleWeather#Variant#Separator

[AtmoHumidity]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherAtmoHumidity
Postfix="%"

[AtmoHumidityLabel]
Meter=STRING
Text=Humidity

[AtmoPressure]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherAtmoPressure
MeasureName2=MeasureWeatherUnitPressure
Text=%1 %2

[AtmoPressureLabel]
Meter=STRING
Text=Pressure

[AtmoVisibility]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherAtmoVisibility
MeasureName2=MeasureWeatherUnitDistance
Text=%1 %2
;Postfix="%"

[AtmoVisibilityLabel]
Meter=STRING
Text=Visibility

;-----------------------
; DAY 2

[Day2Separator]
Meter=IMAGE
MeterStyle=StyleWeather#Variant#Border | StyleWeather#Variant#Border2

[Icon2]
Meter=IMAGE
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherDay2Icon

[Temp2]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherDay2High
MeasureName2=MeasureWeatherDay2Low
Text=%1/%2°C

LeftMouseUpAction=[[MeasureWeatherRSS]]

[Date2]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherDay2Date

;-----------------------
; DAY 3

[Day3Separator]
Meter=IMAGE
MeterStyle=StyleWeather#Variant#Border | StyleWeather#Variant#Border3

[Icon3]
Meter=IMAGE
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherDay3Icon

[Temp3]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherDay3High
MeasureName2=MeasureWeatherDay3Low
Text=%1/%2°C
LeftMouseUpAction=[[MeasureWeatherRSS]]

[Date3]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureWeatherDay3Date

;-----------------------

[BorderBottom]
Meter=IMAGE
MeterStyle=StyleWeather#Variant#Border | StyleWeather#Variant#Border4

As I had problems with variables, Celcius sign is permanent.

Btw. xml file from weather.com have litte different temperatures (1 Celcius degree more/less) than you can find on site.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

sosen wrote: November 12th, 2019, 11:40 pm If someone is interested, you can find code and result below:
Not very useful, because this is only a part of the code. For instance there are no WebParser measures (in fact no measures at all), no style sections (like [StyleSidebarBackground] or [StyleWeatherXXBackground]) and so on.
Please pack the whole config you have and upload the package. Would be much easier for us (me) to help.
Dark Obsessions

Post by Dark Obsessions »

hello all, two days ago the weather skin stopped working for me, i repeated the steps again with no luck, any ideas to revive it again please? thanks in advance.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

Dark Obsessions wrote: January 17th, 2020, 12:55 am hello all, two days ago the weather skin stopped working for me, i repeated the steps again with no luck, any ideas to revive it again please? thanks in advance.
The service that 99% of Rainmeter skins use to get weather information is currently shut down. See here.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Dark Obsessions wrote: January 17th, 2020, 12:55 am hello all, two days ago the weather skin stopped working for me, i repeated the steps again with no luck, any ideas to revive it again please? thanks in advance.
AS of Jan 15, 2020 TWC (The Weather Channel) stopped the feed that supplied data for most Rainmeter weather skins.

ALL WEATHER SKINS that use the TWC FEED STOPPED WORKING and will NOT work until the feed returns (possible, but unlikely), OR are converted (basically rewritten) to use a different source.

I would wait a few more days to see if TWC changes their decision and restart the feed (this happened last October).
If it does not return, skins will have to be rewritten to use alternate sources.

Several skins use different sources or methods and still work, see this post for some alternate skins.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

eclectic-tech wrote: January 17th, 2020, 1:16 am AS of Jan 15, 2020 TWC (The Weather Channel) stopped the feed that supplied data for most Rainmeter weather skins.

ALL WEATHER SKINS that use the TWC FEED STOPPED WORKING and will NOT work until the feed returns (possible, but unlikely), OR are converted (basically rewritten) to use a different source.

I would wait a few more days to see if TWC changes their decision and restart the feed (this happened last October).
If it does not return, skins will have to be rewritten to use alternate sources.

Several skins use different sources or methods and still work, see this post for some alternate skins.
We can only hope this is a temporary situation. I have some hope since exactly the same thing happened once before, and it was eventually corrected.

Changing skins to use the approach of scraping the weather.com website is doable, I have changed the skin I use to do it, but it is in no way trivial to do.

As always, I'm a bit fearful of depending on a "website", which can change at the whim of some webmaster or god-forbid, marketing guy, rather than a data "feed", which is generally pretty static.

The "upside" of scraping the site is that the information is far more current than the wxdata feed ever was. I think that had a resolution of once-an-hour.

1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Now I have investigated wxdata site, and can't find the clear announce that weather API that we broadly use in Rainmeter is demised. Possibly, they have abondoned free access to wxdata, I think.
The pricing of their Weather API is $220/month in the case of 500 requests/day of Land Weather Observation + Land Forecast. Really expensive.

On the other hand, the standard account of DarkSky API is free up to 1000 requests/day including 8 days forecast. And for the excess requests is $0.0001/call = $1/10000 call. Really low-priced for Rainmeter end-user as me.

As jsmorley said, there is still a hope that current situation of wxdata weather feed is temporary. But in last few years, it is unstable at least and anxious for me.
So, I have switched to DarkSky API and other scraping skins for some weather sites.
Untitled-1.png
PS. the "downside" of the scraping method is...it is instantly destroyed by a stroke of web designer of the weather site. My weather skin often suddenly stops working with an error message "RegExp matching error!"...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

mak_kawa wrote: January 17th, 2020, 5:24 am Now I have investigated wxdata site, and can't find the clear announce that weather API that we broadly use in Rainmeter is demised. Possibly, they have abondoned free access to wxdata, I think.
This link will try to access the feed, and either show the feed or deprecated message:
http://wxdata.weather.com/wxdata/search/search?where=U.S.A.

I have been checking it a few times per day to see if they change their decision...
Looks like it's time to rewrite my skins using a different source. :(
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

As for scraping, I fear there may be some apprehension there as well as of late.

https://weather.codes/australia/ seems to be accurate however my location is incorrect now and shows some strange location name with the data being essentially correct but again, the location is not right at all. Weather dot com may be 'screwing' with things to prevent scraping along with depreciating the wxdata feed. I am not sure but I definitely do not live in 'American Samoa'...

I have found this: 2efa5478d817610824669e1d044c998e36bf26ea1e8e5fc315299e1fbd43741d is my actual location code....
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.