It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:08 pm

WXData / Weather.com moon icons

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: WXData / Weather.com moon icons

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: December 31st, 2018, 4:25 pm But then, of course, the implementation is a little more complex than just putting there some PNGs.
I completely agree.
Yincognito wrote: December 31st, 2018, 4:25 pm I came to a point where I was very proud of how it looked (bar the weather layer, which I left for the end, it looked exactly like the sky at my location whenever I looked at it)... but had to halt the development when I found out that near the poles things were completely messed up. That wasn't exactly my fault, it was just how things are there
Near the poles there always are some problems. I think you shouldn't have to abandon your project for this, instead make a limitation: the skin can be used between, let's say, 70 degrees south and north, above these latitudes, it doesn't work properly. Would be acceptable, in my opinion. Extremely less people are living outside of these coordinates.
Yincognito wrote: December 31st, 2018, 4:25 pm (e.g. sun rising multiple times during the day,
I have to contradict you again. I don't think there would be any place on Earth with multiple Sunrises / Sunsets. Me at least don't know about something like this. Am I wrong?
Yincognito wrote: December 31st, 2018, 4:25 pm that's why I said that every option has its advantages and disadvantages, especially for a weather skin.
Not just for a weather skin. Everything has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: December 31st, 2018, 4:43 pmI have to contradict you again. I don't think there would be any place on Earth with multiple Sunrises / Sunsets. Me at least don't know about something like this. Am I wrong?
No, you're not (wrong). My mistake this time, a couple of years passed since I wrote that skin, so I forgot some things. What I meant was not multiple sunrises/sunsets during a day, but sunrise/sunset (or better said, twilight) happening during multiple days. Basically the reverse idea. Good observation though - now we're even at harmless mistakes. :D
balala wrote: December 31st, 2018, 4:43 pmNear the poles there always are some problems. I think you shouldn't have to abandon your project for this, instead make a limitation: the skin can be used between, let's say, 70 degrees south and north, above these latitudes, it doesn't work properly. Would be acceptable, in my opinion. Extremely less people are living outside of these coordinates.
Yeah, but here's the thing ... I'm a perfectionist. I want a solution to work in every test case scenario - this is how I am. On the bright side of things, if I wasn't a perfectionist, I wouldn't have begun the project in the first place. As I said, every little thing has it advantages and disadvantages... ;-)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: December 31st, 2018, 5:09 pm No, you're not (wrong). My mistake this time, a couple of years passed since I wrote that skin, so I forgot some things. What I meant was not multiple sunrises/sunsets during a day, but sunrise/sunset (or better said, twilight) happening during multiple days. Basically the reverse idea. Good observation though - now we're even at harmless mistakes. :D
Don't worry...
Yincognito wrote: December 31st, 2018, 5:09 pm Yeah, but here's the thing ... I'm a perfectionist. I want a solution to work in every test case scenario - this is how I am. On the bright side of things, if I wasn't a perfectionist, I wouldn't have begun the project in the first place. As I said, every little thing has it advantages and disadvantages... ;-)
Don't be all the time. Doesn't worth.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: December 31st, 2018, 5:15 pmDon't be all the time. Doesn't worth.
I know. Many times it's not productive. But when it is, it gives great satisfaction. Moderation is the key though, on that we agree.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

This probably won't be of much interest to others, since it's relatively easy to interrogate other sites for moon data (e.g. moon lit %, the side that's lit, moon image, moon age), but if you don't care too much about being very precise and only want to base your skin output strictly on Weather.com's wxdata values (without interrogating other sites), you can still approximate the moon lit % based on the moon icon value (that is actually supposed to mean moon's age in days since the last new moon). At first I set these hardcoded, taking a more symmetrical (in terms of moon lit % increase/decrease ratio) synodic month data from NASA, but the formula for a rough approximation is quite simple:
Moon Lit Percent Based On Its Icons.jpg
As you can see, the graphs are pretty much the same in terms of increase/decrease ratios of moon lit %. Of course, the values will vary depending on the synodic month in question and latitude, but it's a good reference for approximations. The Calc measures where these formulas will be used will output either the moon lit % approximation (the 1st formula), or the side that's lit (the 2nd formula, that outputs -1 for left side lit, 0 for bottom lit and 1 for right side lit).

Note: And now, of course, we can see why wxdata's moon icon value is supposed to represent 2 full moons one after another, for 14 and 15...