It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:45 pm

How can I contact authors of a skin I found @ Deviantart)

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
EquusEbon

How can I contact authors of a skin I found @ Deviantart)

Post by EquusEbon »

I have been using, correcting, and modifying a Mass Effect skin I found @ DeviantArt. I know I can simply sign up for an account there, but it feels overly promiscuous to me. I know, I've gotten weird in my old age.

Any way, the immediately previous author goes by "RickF7666" there, and the one before him uses "Uruloki Burning". What I'd like to ask them is if either one remembers what string on Foreca's site a measure called "MeasureOBN" was looking for in the "WeatherForecast and Radar" module skin.

This is the code block in question:

Code: Select all

[MeasureOBN]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins/WebParser.dll
Url=#wURL1#
RegExp="(?siU)<div class="bot txt-tight grey">.*(.*)<br />.*"
;NOTE: does not appear that a string starting with "bot txt" exists in the HTML on Foreca's site now.
UpdateRate=#UpdateRateSeconds#
StringIndex=1
Substitute="Â":"íà"
I know it is scraping for a specific string on Foreca's site for the set city...but after making several attempts at inspecting the elements on the site for my city, I'm strongly thinking that Foreca has been modifying the HTML code since "version 2.0" of the "Weather and Radar" module skin was done.

I did figure out what was making measures "MeasureWET" and "MeasureWET2" fail...the string with the image value had changed. I commented the original expression, putting the working version under that in the code blocks:

[MeasureWET]
Measure=Plugin
Url=#wURL1#
;RegExp="(?siU).*img/symb-wind/w(.*).gif" alt=".*".*"
RegExp="(?siU).*/s/symb-wind/w(.*).gif" alt="(.*)".*"
StringIndex=1

[MeasureWET2]
Measure=Plugin
Url=#wURL1#
;RegExp="(?siU).*img/symb-wind/w(.*).gif" alt="(.*)".*"
RegExp="(?siU).*/s/symb-wind/w(.*).gif" alt="(.*)".*"
StringIndex=2
Also, I discovered the image URI for the weather map images have been changed. I found some of them are using the URI folder pointer "https://s.w-x.co/util/image/map/". I don't know if IBM did a purge to cut down on storage space (an assumption from the fact that the company owns both "the Weather Channel" and "Weather Underground"), as there are fewer regions that I was able to find than those that had been included in the comment lines of the application.ini file.
Last edited by balala on December 19th, 2018, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use [code] tags when posting code snippets. It's the </> button.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: How can I contact authors of a skin I found @ Deviantart)

Post by eclectic-tech »

Sorry for the late reply...

I have no idea on how to contact the author if they do not respond to remarks on their DA site. :???:

However, in looking at the code for that skin, the measure you are asking about [MeasureOBN] is never used in the skin.
It is parsed, but is never used in 'MeasureName=' of a display meter; (only 1 match in the entire file). :uhuh:
measureOBN.png
So you could delete that entire section [MeasureOBN] and not effect the skin's operation. :thumbdown:

I have not tried the skin to see what other problems it may have (you said you already corrected a few), but that is the problem when a skin 'scrapes' a website; not the best method for functional longevity...
EquusEbon

Re: How can I contact authors of a skin I found @ Deviantart)

Post by EquusEbon »

Ahhh, what I call "appendix" code...the originalprevious authors forgot just what he was going to do with it, and it has been lurking all zombie-like ever since. Cool, I'll just comment the whole block out. Thank you, @eclectic-tech, for sleuthing a bit on my behalf. One other error was driving me batty, UNTIL I realized that the nature of "scraping" made it a guarantee that either the "day icon" measure or the "night icon" measure would throw a failure, as the scraped page can't have the day version and the night version of the current weather icon showing at the same time. Definitely a "D'OH!" moment!

[Indent]

[MeasureWeatherIconD]
Measure=Plugin
Url=#wURL1#
RegExp="(?siU)<div class="symbol_70x70d symbol_d(.*)_70x70 cc_symb">.*"
StringIndex=1

[MeasureWeatherIconN]
Measure=Plugin