It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:56 pm

Track Download Traffic Usage

General topics related to Rainmeter.
shiraz07

Track Download Traffic Usage

Post by shiraz07 »

Is there a Rainmeter skin,or could one be created,that has similar functionality to this(BitMeter)?I've changed my package recently to free line rental but has 40GB monthly limit instead of unlimited so need to monitor it.
maminscris

Re: Track Download Traffic Usage

Post by maminscris »

you can use IfAboveValue under total download and upload like below

it will reset download when reached to 30 G an upload at 10G.

Code: Select all

[TCPInAll]
Measure=NetIn
Cumulative=1
IfAboveValue=30000000000
IfAboveAction=!Execute [!RainmeterResetStats]

[TCPOutAll]
Measure=NetOut
Cumulative=1
IfAboveValue=10000000000
IfAboveAction=!Execute [!RainmeterResetStats]
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
Dave_W

Post by Dave_W »

Hi Shiraz - I don't know off the top of my head of something that does it, but that's the joy of Rainmeter...we can build one ourselves!

If we look at the manual, we see that there's a measure called NetIn which measures incoming network traffic. If we set that up with the modifier Cumulative=1, it will keep track of your traffic indefinitely - like so:

[DL]
Measure=NetIn
Cumulative=1
Note though that this counts in bytes, and you want Gigabytes - so let's add another meter to do that:

[GBConverter]
Measure=Calc
Formula=DL/1000000000
(note: I've assumed that you do want GigaBYTES, not GigaBITS - change 100000000 to 1073741824 if the latter).

So the measure GBConverter produces your cumulative downloads in GB - now we need to display it:

[NetMeter]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=GBConverter
Text=%1 GB
I don't know whether your meters refer back to a UserVariables file or what, but obviously you'll need to add your height, width, font settings etc.

The other thing to do is to make sure we're only counting on a monthly basis, rather than keeping a rolling count until judgment day. We have two options here - we can add a manual reset button, which you can remember to click once a month, or we can tell Rainmeter to reset its count on the first of every month. The drawback with the latter solution is that if Rainmeter doesn't run on the first of the month, it won't reset.

Let us know how you want to proceed, and we'll go from there!
shiraz07

Post by shiraz07 »

Thanks mamin & Dave for quick reply.I've no experience or skill in creating Rain skins from scratch although i'm ok at editing & modifying them so would be an uphill struggle for me to create this.
The above BitMeter stand alone utility restarts at the beginning of the month at zero so i just need something that does similar & tracks all download traffic so as i say i dont exceed 40Gbytes(although that would be difficult even with all the music i download!).
The ISP Restrictions window is part of BitMeters right click menu.The main graph display is just above.
However it uses a fair amount of memory so would be nice if i could get similar in Rainmeter then i could ditch BitMeter.
Meantime i'll have a look at the settings you've left for me.
Dave_W

Post by Dave_W »

Funnily enough, this question was the reason why I joined the Rainmeter forums in the first place (two forums ago).

The code to reset on the first of each month is:

[Reset] 
Measure=Time 
Format=%d 
IfEqualValue=1 
IfEqualAction=!RainmeterResetStats
As I said above, the main issue here is that if you don't have Rainmeter running on the first of a given month, you miss your reset. Accordingly, I would add this line to our existing meter which will let you manually reset the count with a middle click:

MiddleMouseDownAction=!RainmeterResetStats
So all the operative code from this post and the one above, together, would be:

[DL]
Measure=NetIn
Cumulative=1

[Reset] 
Measure=Time 
Format=%d 
IfEqualValue=1 
IfEqualAction=!RainmeterResetStats

[GBConverter]
Measure=Calc
Formula=DL/1000000000

[NetMeter]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=GBConverter
Text=%1 GB
MiddleMouseDownAction=!RainmeterResetStats
FontFace=
FontHeight=
FontColor=
All you need to do is fill in the gaps for FontFace, FontHeight and FontColor - presumably you will copy them from another config so that the netmeter matches the rest of your setup. And that should do it!

There's plenty more you can do here, including flashing up a warning when you get to a certain level of download etc. - have a read of the manual and/or Rainmeter 101, there's plenty of possibilities!
scoop6274

Post by scoop6274 »

Dave,

Creative solution, but doesn't this assume that the computer is never shutdown? What happens if the computer is shutdown? Or, is it saving the information inside of Rainmeter like it saves the position of skins? I ask, because with the system monitor graphs that I have used, they all start out at zero when you restart the skin.

I think I have a conceptual solution, if I understand the inner workings of Rainmeter well enough (though I could be wrong because I am still very new at this).

Wouldn't you want to output the info to a text file, and then have it read it upon a computer restart. It could also output the last date to a text file, then when it reads it upon the next restart, it could look at the month and if the text file month and the current month don't match, it could reset the count.

I have no idea if this would really work, but if it did it would solve the issue of resetting the count at the beginning of the month if the computer wasn't up and running.
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

you can keep the IfEqualValue=1 and add IfBelowValue, or IfAboveValuem the problem is that are 28, 30 and 31 and I do not know how rainmeter will act.
anyway here is some code to show/hide moon icons (accordion to hours), maybe you will find an idea there

[MeasureTime]
Measure=Time
Format="%H"

[MeasureCalcTime1]
Measure=Calc
Formula=MeasureTime
IfBelowValue=7
IfBelowAction=!Execute [!RainmeterHideMeter MeterCurIcon] [!RainmeterHideMeter MeterLOGO] [!RainmeterShowMeter MeterMoonPhase] [!RainmeterShowMeter MeterNightIcon] [!RainmeterShowMeter MeterLOGONight]
IfAboveValue=6
IfAboveAction=!Execute [!RainmeterHideMeter MeterNightIcon] [!RainmeterHideMeter MeterMoonPhase] [!RainmeterHideMeter MeterLOGONight] [!RainmeterShowMeter MeterCurIcon] [!RainmeterShowMeter MeterLOGO]

[MeasureCalcTime2]
Measure=Calc
Formula=MeasureTime
IfAboveAction=!Execute [!RainmeterHideMeter MeterCurIcon] [!RainmeterHideMeter MeterLOGO] [!RainmeterShowMeter MeterMoonPhase] [!RainmeterShowMeter MeterNightIcon] [!RainmeterShowMeter MeterLOGONight]
IfAboveValue=18
Dave_W

Post by Dave_W »

scoop6274 wrote:Creative solution, but doesn't this assume that the computer is never shutdown? What happens if the computer is shutdown? Or, is it saving the information inside of Rainmeter like it saves the position of skins?
With Cumulative=1, it's saving the information inside of Rainmeter like it saves the position of skins - open up Rainmeter.ini, you'll see a section called [Statistics]. It's there.

When I originally asked about this problem, I discovered that Rainmeter did not update the stats if you didn't shut it down manually (i.e. if you just shut your computer down without first closing Rainmeter, your day's usage wouldn't be saved). My understanding is that problem has now been fixed, so this should work.
Last edited by dragonmage on March 5th, 2010, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added open bracket to url
scoop6274

Post by scoop6274 »

Dave_W wrote: With Cumulative=1, it's saving the information inside of Rainmeter like it saves the position of skins - open up Rainmeter.ini, you'll see a section called [Statistics]. It's there.

When I originally asked about this problem, I discovered that Rainmeter did not update the stats if you didn't shut it down manually (i.e. if you just shut your computer down without first closing Rainmeter, your day's usage wouldn't be saved). My understanding is that problem has now been url=http://code.google.com/p/rainmeter/issues/detail?id=6&can=1]fixed[/url], so this should work.
Dave,

Thanks for the answer, that clarifies things. However, there is still the issue of getting the month to reset correctly. Is there anyway it could be dependent upon the an IfEqual=#Month# instead of worrying about the number of days in the month. Couldn't it read the information like it does for the calendar and when the month number is no longer equal to what it has been for the previous recording, then it resets the statistics.

And I'm not sure how the code would look for that, just conceptualizing here but if the current month is not equal to recorded month, then reset recorded month to current month and reset statistics to zero. That way it is dependent on the month (which he is worried about) and not the number of days in the month. If this works, I would be interested in adding it to my skins just to keep track of what my average usage is per month (just in case my provider decides to add in caps).

It would also be nice if it could output to a text file with each month listed differently so that one could look at it over a year and if you have multiple computers in your network, you could look at the statistical usage per computer and add them up for all computers.

Just a though :EvilLaugh:
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

if you use the month variation you will have to change it every month, the day if better, you can play a little with your computer date and see if the IfEqualValue=1 do the job