It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:04 pm

I need some feedback on icons

General topics related to Rainmeter.
raiguard

I need some feedback on icons

Post by raiguard »

I am adding some new logic to my network skin to more accurately inform the user of the state of their internet conneciton. The logic itself works just fine, my only problem is deciding how to best represent the different states. I have attached an image that shows every possible icon, and I would like people to guess what they mean. I have included the answers in the spoiler below the image.

Thanks in advance!

networkicons.png
1. No connection
2. Wired internet connection
3. Connected to WiFi, LAN-only (no internet)
4. Wireless internet connection
5. Connected to ethernet, LAN-only (no internet)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
kyriakos876

Re: I need some feedback on icons

Post by kyriakos876 »

The only thing I don't like is that fat red "X"... looks like it came from 1993 UI design.
The others are good. I use the same except for the plant one, but looks good. :)
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

raiguard wrote: November 5th, 2018, 9:34 pm I am adding some new logic to my network skin to more accurately inform the user of the state of their internet conneciton. The logic itself works just fine, my only problem is deciding how to best represent the different states. I have attached an image that shows every possible icon, and I would like people to guess what they mean.
I guessed them all OK, but I didn't think some of them were complementary. 3 and 4 seem a obvious pairing, but 2 and 5 didn't seem to pair up. I also agree that the red X seems a little old-fashioned and not really in the modern style of the Modern Gadgets. (But I don't have a good suggestion for an alternative to the X. Maybe a sad face, LOL. </joke>)
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

SilverAzide wrote: November 5th, 2018, 11:38 pm I guessed them all OK, but I didn't think some of them were complementary. 3 and 4 seem a obvious pairing, but 2 and 5 didn't seem to pair up. I also agree that the red X seems a little old-fashioned and not really in the modern style of the Modern Gadgets. (But I don't have a good suggestion for an alternative to the X. Maybe a sad face, LOL. </joke>)
Yeah, the ethernet thing is a bit of a conundrum. I like the globe because it makes it clear that you're connected to the 'global network', but obviously when you're just on LAN, that isn't the case. So having a red globe wouldn't make sense, and a blue ethernet port is boring...
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

raiguard wrote: November 6th, 2018, 3:54 am Yeah, the ethernet thing is a bit of a conundrum. I like the globe because it makes it clear that you're connected to the 'global network', but obviously when you're just on LAN, that isn't the case. So having a red globe wouldn't make sense, and a blue ethernet port is boring...
Maybe a little "house" or home icon?
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...