It is currently April 19th, 2024, 6:31 pm

New forum style installed

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
jsmorley
Developer

New forum style installed

Post by jsmorley »

We really needed to get current with the forum phpBB software, and that required a new version of the "style" we were using. Our style, called "Basic" by a guy named Arty, is no longer being updated, and there is no version of it for the new 3.2 version of phpBB.

We have installed and slightly tweaked a new style called Elegance, that while not exactly the same as our previous style, is very similar. Hopefully it won't take a lot of getting used to.

Please let us know in this thread if you run into any functional problems, or if there are visible changes that aren't right. We did quite a bit of work and testing to be sure Elegance works and looks the way we want, but I'm sure there will be something(s) we missed.

We are open to suggestions about changes to the style, but be aware that we are pretty happy with how this looks in general.
raiguard

Re: New forum style installed

Post by raiguard »

Woah, this looks really different! I like it overall, though I feel that the gradients make it look a bit more antique and don't fit with Rainmeter's overall aesthetic. If the gradients were toned down a bit (specifically on the orange accents), I think that would improve the look a lot.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

raiguard wrote: October 13th, 2018, 11:33 pm Woah, this looks really different! I like it overall, though I feel that the gradients make it look a bit more antique and don't fit with Rainmeter's overall aesthetic. If the gradients were toned down a bit (specifically on the orange accents), I think that would improve the look a lot.
Ok, I changed the topic read/unread icons a bit.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

Thanks, that looks a bit better. On an unrelated note, the favicon appears to be broken. Chrome with material design refresh, and a dark theme.

I am unable to upload a photo to show you. It doesn't show the "place inline" button, and when I click preview, the attachment disappears. Clicking the status icon results in Could not upload attachment to ./files/34256_0a8b8663e9d5c93c18231a1c31f6eeb3.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Drat. Ownership issue on a folder. We will fix it ASAP.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

FunnyHorse.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Fixed the favicon
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FreeRaider

Post by FreeRaider »

A couple of question:
why change styles, since both are of the same author and are not updated for version 3.2.3 of phpBB?
Was not it better to leave the previous style?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

FreeRaider wrote: October 14th, 2018, 10:30 am A couple of question:
why change styles, since both are of the same author and are not updated for version 3.2.3 of phpBB?
Was not it better to leave the previous style?

The author Arty created the "Basic" style we were using before. That won't work with 3.2.3 of phpBB, and he is no longer updating it.

The same author Arty created another style "Elegance", which was also for phpBB 3.1.x and he is no longer updating it.

The author Arty no longer works with phpBB at all, but has moved on to other things.

The author MrGaby has stepped in and with HUGE amounts of effort converted and modified the Elegance style to work with phpBB 3.2.3. This is not trivial to do, there are major differences in how styles are architected in 3.1 and 3.2 of phpBB.

That was the best alternative left to us. We used the Elegance style from MrGaby, and with some minor tweaking, it seems to do the job for us with the least amount of jarring disruption.