It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:26 pm

Adaptive Translucent Taskbar

Skins that control functions in Windows or Rainmeter
kyriakos876

Adaptive Translucent Taskbar

Post by kyriakos876 »

Yesterday I found out about this plugin and I liked the way it looked. The only issue was that when a window is maximized, it looks weird (at least to me) so I decided to makes this skin that toggles this plugin depending of whether you have a maximized window or not.
AdaptReview.png
Possible issues (and some solutions):

1) In multiple monitor setups it will probably (and by probably I mean almost certainly) get triggered for both monitors if the main monitor has a maximized window

Eliminated on V.18.10.2018.2
2) I don't know how Windows handles the task-bar's height so if you have a high resolution monitor you will probably have to change the TaskbarHeight variable to match your task-bar's height.

3) If you see 4 tiny dots in your desktop, change the DefaultColorRGB variable to match your wallpaper. just make sure you dont use white 255,255,255 and black 0,0,0 as some programs/ browsers/ websites might use those values for the background. Other probably reserved colors are 41,41,41 and 51,51,51 as well as 136,136,136. you would want to go for something weird like 250,255,253 for light wallpapers or 0,0,3 (default) for dark ones.

4)( That's more like a suggestion rather than an issue) You could use chameleon plugin to get the colors according to your wallpaper every time it changes. Though I find 0,0,3 to be pretty stealthy and universal.

Enjoy!

This will set you back a couple of kilobytes and 4 pixels of your desktop. I found it a worthy sacrifice.

--------------------------> CREDITS <--------------------------
1) --> arkenthera <--for the TranslucentTaskbar plugin, check the original post here
2) -->jsmorley <-- for the PixelColor plugin (and the lua script), check the original post here

------------------------> DOWNLOAD <------------------------
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kyriakos876 on October 18th, 2018, 9:34 pm, edited 14 times in total.
kyriakos876

Re: Adaptive Translucent Taskbar

Post by kyriakos876 »

Oops, made a change so now all 4 meters actually work and not only the top-left meter is deciding what's up.

*Get updated version at first post.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

For some reason this rmskin is detecting my Rainmeter version as less than 4.3.0.3249 and will not install automatically.
You may want to lower the requirement to 4.2, the latest released version...

My Specs
Rainmeter 4.3.0.3249 beta (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2018-09-13 9:33:50
Commit Hash: 996ebcc0
Windows 10 Pro 1809 64-bit (build 17744) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Rainmeter3249_64bit\
SkinPath: C:\Users\...\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Rainmeter3249_64bit\
IniFile: C:\Rainmeter3249_64bit\Rainmeter.ini
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

eclectic-tech wrote:For some reason this rmskin is detecting my Rainmeter version as less than 4.3.0.3249 and will not install automatically.
You may want to lower the requirement to 4.2, the latest released version...

My Specs
Windows 10 Pro 1809 64-bit (build 17744) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Rainmeter3249_64bit\
SkinPath: C:\Users\...\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Rainmeter3249_64bit\
IniFile: C:\Rainmeter3249_64bit\Rainmeter.ini
Thanks for reporting... that is strange.

Try getting the skin from here and let me know if this rmskin is installing normally.

Other than that, does the skin work as expected in your monitor?

By the way I made the rmskin using:
Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit (build 17134) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: C:\Users\Kyria\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\Kyria\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Kyria\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Your DeviantArt package is coded to require 4.2 and installs automatically.

The attached package in this first post is coded to require the unreleased alpha version 4.3.0.3249, however, the Rainmeter installer see this as an invalid version, and presents you with a message to upgrade to version 4.3.0.3249 :? ...

The alpha version does not exist yet, as far as the installer is concerned, so it simply stops any package with versions higher than the released beta. :x

I would suggest removing the attachment above and simply link to your DeviantArt page. ;-)

Trying to keep multiple locations updated and in sync will frustrate you and confuse end user as to which they should have.

It is also confusing for end users when the "name" of your package does not match the "location" of the skin; you call it "Adaptive-Translucent-Taskbar" but have the files saved in the SKIN sub-folder of "0123456789AControlPanel". This is just confusing for normal end users who will not be able to find the files where they usually are... :-(

I will try this and let you know if there are ant issues on my system (very similar to yours!) :great:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The installer doesn't block the alpha. He had to have had a typo in the target version in the original .rmskin.

The installer in no way "phones home", and the only test is what version is in the .rmskin, and what version is on your system.

The only "phoning home" that Rainmeter does is to check to see if you are on a version older than the latest "release" version of Rainmeter when it is started. That is so we can have "Upgrade available" highlighted on the context menu for you. This can be turned off if desired from the Setting panel.

What he has linked there now installs fine for me on 4.3.0.3249.

Having said that, I certainly don't recommend releasing a skin targeted at an alpha version of Rainmeter. That can only lead to tears.
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

eclectic-tech wrote:Your DeviantArt package is coded to require 4.2 and installs automatically.
I did it to check if there was another issue so I could have both links to download.
eclectic-tech wrote:The attached package in this first post is coded to require the unreleased alpha version 4.3.0.3249, however, the Rainmeter installer see this as an invalid version, and presents you with a message to upgrade to version 4.3.0.3249 :? ...

The alpha version does not exist yet, as far as the installer is concerned, so it simply stops any package with versions higher than the released beta. :x
ah I didn't know that.
eclectic-tech wrote: I would suggest removing the attachment above and simply link to your DeviantArt page. ;-)

Trying to keep multiple locations updated and in sync will frustrate you and confuse end user as to which they should have.

It is also confusing for end users when the "name" of your package does not match the "location" of the skin; you call it "Adaptive-Translucent-Taskbar" but have the files saved in the SKIN sub-folder of "0123456789AControlPanel". This is just confusing for normal end users who will not be able to find the files where they usually are... :-(
Yea I will replace the links now as well as change the main file name. I just forgot to change the name because I have other stuff in my skin and want it to always show first in the skin that is alphabetically ordered.
eclectic-tech wrote: I will try this and let you know if there are ant issues on my system (very similar to yours!) :great:
Great!
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

jsmorley wrote:The installer doesn't block the alpha. He had to have had a typo in the target version in the original .rmskin.

The installer in no way "phones home", and the only test is what version is in the .rmskin, and what version is on your system.

The only "phoning home" that Rainmeter does is to check to see if you are on a version older than the latest "release" version of Rainmeter when it is started. That is so we can have "Upgrade available" highlighted on the context menu for you. This can be turned off if desired from the Setting panel.

Having said that, I certainly don't recommend releasing a skin targeted at an alpha version of Rainmeter. That can only lead to tears.
I never change the target to anything than 4.2, let alone now that it was in alpha... I don't why electric tech had issue. You said the one I have uploaded now works for you but not for him. If you see I updated it last time before his comment so he should be having no trouble just like you. As for the alpha, again, my bad... should have definitely changed it to 4.2
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

*Made some minor changes, get new version in the first post*
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

jsmorley wrote:The installer doesn't block the alpha. He had to have had a typo in the target version in the original .rmskin.

I made an ass-umption about the installer... my bad, you know best how that works.

However, I would let you know that I have created several packages using the alpha version, forgetting to go back to the latest beta before creating them. None of those packages will install using the skin installer; they all fail with a message to upgrade to version 4.3.0.3249 (which is what I have running). :x

That is why I assumed it was a skin installer issue. I would be curious if I am the only one seeing this with packages created by the alpha version? :???: