UsageMonitor always reports too high GPU usage for individual processes

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.

UsageMonitor always reports too high GPU usage for individual processes

July 13th, 2018, 1:51 am
SilverAzide
   [456 posts]

Hello,
This issue is similar to the other thread regarding CPU usage exceeding 100% (a problem I have NOT seen). However, I can easily see GPU usage wildly in excess of 100%. Hopefully it is something I am doing and not a problem with the plugin. Here are some simple GPU measures:

Code: Select all

[MeasureGPU]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=UsageMonitor
Alias=GPU
Percent=0
Index=0

[MeasureTopUsage1]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=UsageMonitor
Alias=GPU
Percent=0
Index=1

[MeasureTopUsage2]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=UsageMonitor
Alias=GPU
Percent=0
Index=2

[MeasureTopUsage3]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=UsageMonitor
Alias=GPU
Percent=0
Index=3

; etc....

And here is a screenshot of the About dialog:
UsageMonitorIssue.png

You can see the min/max values are supposed to be 0-100, but aren't really... The Total seems more like a sum of all the other values, but none of these seem to be percentages. (BTW, Percent=1 is invalid on these measures.)

So is the measure (or perfmon?) really returning percentages? It seems like -- unlike the CPU -- getting the GPU percentage needs something like:

Code: Select all

[MeasureTopUsage1Percentage]
Measure=Calc
Formula=(MeasureTopUsage1 / MeasureGPU * 100)

:confused:

(An easy way to test this is to google "Chrome Experiments" and select a WebGL experiment, like maybe this one.)

Re: UsageMonitor always reports too high GPU usage for individual processes

July 14th, 2018, 1:53 am
tjhrulz
Developer   [221 posts]

Well I was ready to say this is a bug with PerfMon but it actually even better than that.

So GPU unlike CPU comes already computed what the percentage is which is why I thought the was odd. Looking into it in PerfMon it shows the same values, and even in task manager the result can actually end up being over 100%. But here is the thing, Microsoft hides the GPU usage of DWM in task manager so you don't notice it...

So in short you should just add DWM to the blacklist when doing GPU stuff, then the total should reflect correctly. In fact I probably should talk to jsmorley about maybe adding it the the default blacklist for everything since it has little value to an end user.

Re: UsageMonitor always reports too high GPU usage for individual processes

July 14th, 2018, 4:41 am
SilverAzide
   [456 posts]

tjhrulz wrote:So in short you should just add DWM to the blacklist when doing GPU stuff, then the total should reflect correctly. In fact I probably should talk to jsmorley about maybe adding it the the default blacklist for everything since it has little value to an end user.

Excellent news! Thank you for looking into this! :thumbup:

Return to “Bugs & Feature Suggestions”