It is currently April 16th, 2024, 10:41 pm

calculator skin in rainmeter possible?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
r3ginald

calculator skin in rainmeter possible?

Post by r3ginald »

I know how well Rainmeter's calc function can do its magic but would it be possible to make a basic calculator skin that can add, subtract, multiply, and divide and show the resulting value? if so, can it does trig functions and more intermediate math stuff? how about calculus functions?
My Tumblog
Everything I have made is located at my blog. Visit for my latest updates, skins, themes/etc.
-------------------------------------
TEAM V.I.S.O.R.
devART
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Re: calculator skin in rainmeter possible?

Post by Alex2539 »

It's very likely possible, but I doubt if it's in any way practical. Realistically, you're better off just using the one that comes with windows. However, my interest is piqued so I think I'll do a little bit of testing with this. In theory it should be capable of any operation that the Calc function is, and possibly a little more with some creativity. Any useful calculus is probably right out though.
ImageImageImageImage
Varelse

Post by Varelse »

It would be possible, though, the only way I can think to do it would be unwieldy. Using Quote or Webparser to read a formula out of a text file and feeding that into a calc statement. I did something similar to solve quadratic equations. Type the coefficients into a text file and voila, it's solved.
vindurriel

Post by vindurriel »

Varelse wrote:It would be possible, though, the only way I can think to do it would be unwieldy. Using Quote or Webparser to read a formula out of a text file and feeding that into a calc statement. I did something similar to solve quadratic equations. Type the coefficients into a text file and voila, it's solved.
Varelse seems to be right. The major problem is that rainmeter doesn't have a decent user input interface.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

vindurriel wrote: Varelse seems to be right. The major problem is that rainmeter doesn't have a decent user input interface.
While I know you didn't mean it this way, it sounds like you are saying that we wrote a crummy "user input interface". To be clear, Rainmeter by design and intent has NO "user input interface"..

;-)
vindurriel

Post by vindurriel »

jsmorley wrote: While I know you didn't mean it this way, it sounds like you are saying that we wrote a crummy "user input interface". To be clear, Rainmeter by design and intent has NO "user input interface"..

;-)
You're right. But it would be more convenient when dealing with this issue.
trippisme

Post by trippisme »

No user interface? Huh? What do you call the buttons and text on the screen then? I don't think a simple calculator would be very hard to make. You just need a button for each number, a button for each function (+. -, sin, etc) , and a text field to display values. I may work on this if I get some time, if someone can make a nice looking calculator skin, I can most certainly make the background code.
legolas1042

Post by legolas1042 »

sorry I don't mean to necropost but, did you ever do that testing you mentioned? I'd kind of like a rainmeter calculator
wasky1

Post by wasky1 »

trippisme wrote:No user interface? Huh? What do you call the buttons and text on the screen then? I don't think a simple calculator would be very hard to make. You just need a button for each number, a button for each function (+. -, sin, etc) , and a text field to display values. I may work on this if I get some time, if someone can make a nice looking calculator skin, I can most certainly make the background code.
he he in effect each skin is a user interface for a program that dont have one lol
just an idea but each button could input into a textfile to be read somehow eg [nircmd.exe clipboard addfile 768]
this is a very interesting concept its got my brain ticking
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

legolas1042 wrote:sorry I don't mean to necropost but, did you ever do that testing you mentioned? I'd kind of like a rainmeter calculator
I started on it, then I got kind of busy and forgot about it. It's definitely doable, but it's coming out to be quite a lot of work. I'm not sure that I'll finish it. I have simple operations working (+ - * /), but nothing more than that.
ImageImageImageImage