It is currently April 19th, 2024, 7:55 am

Rainmeter / WINE / Linux

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Caledfwlch

Re: Rainmeter / WINE / Linux

Post by Caledfwlch »

To update briefly, I've now posted a thread on the WINE forums, located here: http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=23831

I figure it a best of in terms of trying to bring attention to the bug regarding a skin's transparent display.
sgtevmckay wrote:I only suggest Conky as an interim, and to frustrate Linux users to program something better
Believe me, I know. ;) Speaking as a Linux-only user within the last two years, I have became rather frustrated from time to time knowing there isn't a native Linux port of Rainmeter. I am unsure of the complications that would present themselves in having to create said port, but I have always figured there to be some way that something could be operable, mayhaps with limited ability. No matter the lack of it's native nature, Rainmeter under WINE has the potential to be a viable option for those requesting it.

The largest problem I have personally seen, besides the transparency issue and gdiplus issue already mentioned [feasibly: worked around], is the amount of slowdown when displaying Rainmeter's default System skin. All other skins, even the default skins, appear to work fine (minus Compiz virtual desktops confusing Rainmeter's placement, presumably fixable w/ Compiz-specific options - Kwin doesn't have this issue to my knowledge.)
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Caledfwlch wrote: Kwin doesn't have this issue to my knowledge.)
I am unaware of Kwin.

More details or a link, Please?
Caledfwlch

Post by Caledfwlch »

I am unaware of Kwin.
Kwin is a window manager for KDE, much as Compiz is a standalone window manager (usable in almost any environment) and Metacity is a window manager for Gnome. Essentially, each environment (KDE and Gnome) have both created their own window managers for their own essential whatnots, excluding Compiz. Kwin has, with the release of the KDE 4.0 series (now at 4.2.2), been worked with tremendously from KDE 3.5 to KDE 4.0. It's results are nearing an identical nature to that of Compiz, which, if you've been following any development in relation to Compiz, is a very streamlined window manager chocked full of GUI essentials and eye-candy.

I do not have Metacity on my system, therefore I cannot check Rainmeter in that environment. However, I can state that Kwin and Compiz both have transparency issues. Compiz is the only window manager that presents a confused placement issue on the part of Rainmeter, and this is why I presume I can actually configure certain options specificly for Rainmeter within Compiz by using it's editable workarounds.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Well that explains much, as I a Gnome user (Latest Ubuntu). Been keeping up with Compiz, and I lik ewhat it has created for the Linux enviro, it also allows for fun integrations (ie. berle). I have been considering getting the Kbuntu, and running it as an alternate boot. I have several friends that swear KDE, but I have been a Gnome loyalist for years, so I am resistant, more than reluctant :D

Although I must say you are encouraging me to look at what else is available.
Caledfwlch

Post by Caledfwlch »

Good news this morning.

Per the thread located on the Wine forums [linked previously], a user, Jay, has some valuable information for a working Rainmeter. If you operate Rainmeter w/ WinME or below (I'm using it under Win98), the black border no longer displays around skins.

Also, Rainmeter used w/ Compiz no longer appears on each individual desktop but rather one desktop as presumably intended.

There are some drawbacks to this, but they are atleast workable drawbacks for the time being.

#1. When loading a skin, make sure it's WinME or lower (Win98 is what I use currently until I have more time to play with other options).

#2. When a skin is loaded, it may appear by default as 'top'. Modifying the position to most anything but 'top' (ie. Normal) will allow the skin to fall behind windows as usually expected.

#3. If the position is modified in Compiz within a different virtual desktop than the one you're wanting Rainmeter to display on, the skin will, by default, appear only on the desktop in which you've modified the skin. This can be fixed by reloading Rainmeter and performing the process again by changing the position on the wanted desktop.

It's another step in the right direction. For the purpose of this thread, I'm using Wine 1.1.20.
sgtevmckay wrote:I have several friends that swear KDE, but I have been a Gnome loyalist for years, so I am resistant, more than reluctant :D
KDE can be loaded in Ubuntu by visiting Synaptic and downloading it's required whatnots. I'm fairly sure, knowing Ubuntu's snapshot system, that KDE will not be the most "up-to-date" until the new release of Ubuntu - as most anything in Ubuntu repos usually are. Surely, there is a thread located somewhere on the Ubuntu forums which will help aide you on the process. I can't say for certain what may or may not need to be changed [if anything] because I do not use Ubuntu. I'm a pretty proud Arch user, myself. ;)
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Yes sir.

You can change out the Gnome for KDE at any time. The problem being it will completely eliminate the Gnome interface.

Instead, if you download Kbuntu, this is the Unbuntu distro with the KDE instead of the Gnome, and saves the trouble of guts change out and what have ya.
I figure I will work this into my Multi-Boot system (Currently XP Pro, Vista 32 bit ultimate, Ubuntu, and Red Hat

Ubuntu 9.04 is in full release as of a few days ago, and the Kbunutu will not be far behind.

(Note: the latest Ubuntu: The bible just got released, and mine is on it's way from Amazon. 2 weeks in advance :D )
Caledfwlch

Post by Caledfwlch »

True as that may be, we had better get back to the original point of the thread. ;) (However, I believe you can download KDE and Gnome together. I had them both operational on here not long ago.)

WINE is operating Rainmeter, and yes, there are some problems. However, there aren't near as many problems as there were before this thread came of existance. I'm quite greatful for the help provided by everyone in an attempt to get this program operational under WINE.

For the problems listed in my above post, none of them are overbearing in such a sense that they aren't "fixable". However, they are annoying, and indeed I hope that, in the future, WINE commits to resolving the bugs I've posted.

If you're a Rainmeter user working w/ WINE, this is currently the best I can offer. Still, the call for more screenshots, trials, and other similarities still exists. Rainmeter, listed on the WINE Application Database, needs more information from different people. If you have this to provide, please provide it. Please vote for a bug if a posted bug affects you, and if a new bug is found, please post about it.
Defron

Post by Defron »

It's great to hear that Rainmeter is starting to work in Wine. I have dabbled in Linux here and there and quite like it, Rainmeter working through Wine makes my eventual planned switch to Linux all that much easier.
airtonix

Post by airtonix »

There are some things conky can do that rainmeter can-not most of which is simply by virtue of being able to use the power of the linux console

1. parse and display output of any script(currently it seems rainmeter can only read a static text file or a webpage via the webparse plugin)
2. run lua scripts internally

Finally in the latest version it is also possible to display images, so skinning is very possible.

Here is the setup I have on my ubunt 8.10 desktop using openbox, tint2 and conky :

Would be great if rainmeter had a scriptparser.dll plugin !
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Yes, it would. Hopefully that is coming down the line.