It is currently September 1st, 2024, 1:19 am

Discord Server

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Discord Server

Post by jsmorley »

We on the development team are pretty happy with IRC for our interactions. I personally have no interest whatsoever in Discord for this, as it's a social-media wasteland. IRC does what we need...
sl23

Re: Discord Server

Post by sl23 »

jsmorley wrote: August 1st, 2017, 12:24 pm I'm not a big fan myself, as those channels are a bit less "serious" than I find helpful, and a better name might be Discordant in my view, but to each his own. I guess my issue with it is that there seems to be no organization into "threads" where a useful discussion on a single topic can take place. While there are channel topics, which allow for some structure, I see no way that doesn't just hurt my head to follow a single conversation about something. So it is just a firehose of unstructured random "social media" blather, which I can live without...
:thumbup:
jsmorley wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 2:05 pm ...to be honest I pretty much hate people anyway... ;-) EDIT: :thumbup: me too!

For more detailed help, we always point people to these forums, where they can post their issue, code they are working with, links, images, etc. and anyone in the community can weigh in with help as and when they have time. It is very "structured", in the sense that there is a "thread" that is about that single discussion. That makes it all very easy to follow, and creates a good permanent reference for future people who have the same issue. I can't imagine at all trying to be helpful in an environment that doesn't have topics and threads.

We find IRC very useful for real-time collaboration between developers, and we are happy to help folks with quick Rainmeter questions or problems. You want a friend who is fascinated by everything you say? Get a dog. :rolmfao:

I don't do Twitter or Facebook. I'm a curmudgeon, and get off my lawn...
Great outlook, man of my own heart! :thumbup:
Only came here to see if there was a way of getting realtime help, but I guess not. Funny read though! :D
:welcome: