It is currently May 7th, 2024, 10:45 pm

Simple countdown timer

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
sl23

Re: Simple countdown timer

Post by sl23 »

I couldn't remember who originated the timer code. Yincognito said I used your version? So I was confused who wrote it tbh.
I'll change the credits a little if you prefer.

Oh, and there are no images involved. It's all done with ShapeMeters and that special Segoe font you posted me the link for.
The only external thing is the Alarm.wav, which at the moment doesn't matter. I will create a .rmskin package once it is complete.

Just like to say thanks again to you and Yincognito for the code, it is much better now :D :thumbup:
- MuLab -
sl23

Post by sl23 »

jsmorley wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 1:08 pm One option for doing attribution / credits is:
Thanks for the tip. I just didn't want to take credit as the Author as I just put the stuff together mostly. It's probably around 80% others work. :oops:
- MuLab -
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

sl23 wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 1:13 pm Thanks for the tip. I just didn't want to take credit as the Author as I just put the stuff together mostly. It's probably around 80% others work. :oops:
It's all entirely up to you. I could make an argument that "Author" implies a certain responsibility to provide "support" for the skin, where "Credits" does not. The long and the short of it is that if you use or derive from an existing skin, you should give some kind of "attribution" to the original author. That doesn't in and of itself make them a "co-author" of your skin, it's your skin, just be sure to "thank" those that provided code for it.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Ok. That's a fair point I'll do it that way then :D
- MuLab -
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

death.crafter wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 1:01 pm For us to use the skin we need the images too :Whistle

So pack the skin up in a neat rmskin. Or a dirty zip. Whatever works.
Also I didn't consent being in the author's list. While I don't mind much, but I don't like being credited big time for someone else's work (since I just modified Yincognito's work here).
I agree with that as well, actually. From my POV, the [Metadata] Information field or something along those lines should be enough, or, alternatively, something like "Credit to X, Y, Z for the help/coding of this skin" would do too. Even if I contributed, I'm not the actual author, it's the OP. All the code I post here when trying to help is 100% public and can be used, given some credit somewhere exists, proportional with the complexity of the code. For simpler stuff like this, no big deal with the credits is required. If someone else is simply copying some .RMSKIN I posted on the forums and claims it's his or that he came up with the "ideas" in it, that is what I wouldn't like. Other than that, I'm pretty open to sharing stuff. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Is this ok with everyone?

Code: Select all

[Metadata]
Name=Countdown Timer
Author=sl23
Information=Clock including Timer, alarm and hourly chime.||Credits:||Timer code by Yincognito and death.crafter.||Skin design by Krzysztof "gronostaj" Smialek||Help via forum: balala, eclectic-tech, jsmorley
Version=2021.8.3
License=CC BY 3.0
In future, I'll keep the same sort of layout if there's no issues with it.
- MuLab -
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Yincognito wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 1:19 pm I agree with that as well, actually. From my POV, the [Metadata] Information field or something along those lines should be enough, or, alternatively, something like "Credit to X, Y, Z for the help/coding of this skin" would do too. Even if I contributed, I'm not the actual author, it's the OP. All the code I post here when trying to help is 100% public and can be used, given some credit somewhere exists, proportional with the complexity of the code. For simpler stuff like this, no big deal with the credits is required. If someone else is simply copying some .RMSKIN I posted on the forums and claims it's his or that he came up with the "ideas" in it, that is what I wouldn't like. Other than that, I'm pretty open to sharing stuff. ;-)
I see your point. I like the fact you find this simple! :oops: :rolmfao:
I know you wrote the timer code but didn't death.crafter fix some bugs and add some bits too? Hence why I credit you both for that code.
- MuLab -
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 1:26 pmIs this ok with everyone?
Perfectly fine with me.
sl23 wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 1:29 pm I see your point. I like the fact you find this simple! :oops: :rolmfao:
For me, it's simple, yes - this is by NO MEANS intended to be demeaning or something like that, I'm sure you realize that. It's just an honest evaluation of what I personally wrote in this thread, and doesn't refer to YOUR skin. I wouldn't consider any of the code I posted here complicated. Including the formulas, irrespective of their length, LMAO.
sl23 wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 1:29 pm I know you wrote the timer code but didn't death.crafter fix some bugs and add some bits too? Hence why I credit you both for that code.
Of course, 1000% percent agree - I even stated the same thing before. Not the slightest problem with that, so relax. 8-)
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Ok, much appreciated :thumbup:
It's ok, I knew you weren't being demeaning in anyway. ;-)
- MuLab -
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 1:42 pm Ok, much appreciated :thumbup:
It's ok, I knew you weren't being demeaning in anyway. ;-)
Excellent! :great: You can even put death.crafter first, if you like, since it's his version of the code you're using. :lol: