It is currently April 18th, 2024, 10:42 pm

CPUTemp

Skins that monitor system information
Kmafin

Re: CPUTemp

Post by Kmafin »

balala wrote:Probably same situation as at CyberTheWorm above. I'm not sure what to say, if values are returned, but never change.
Yeah, that's what I though... Anyway seems nice skin and complex code! :thumbup:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Kmafin wrote:Yeah, that's what I though... Anyway seems nice skin and complex code! :thumbup:
Thanks for the appreciations.
Bekarfel

Post by Bekarfel »

I'm using an AMD FX990+ this doesn't seem to work for me either, but maybe it's a pebcak, I get
PS C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> Get-WmiObject MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature -Namespace "root/wmi"
Get-WmiObject : Not supported
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-WmiObject MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature -Namespace "root/wmi"
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-WmiObject], ManagementException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMIManagementException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand
from the powershell.
WMIC reports something else
C:\Users\GC 2>wmic /namespace:\\root\wmi PATH MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature get CurrentTemperature
Node - DREADNOUGHT-PC
ERROR:
Description = Not supported
I looked up the ACPI functions, and it seems to be a system in the BIOS or UEFI for (among other things) temperature reporting and control that identifies itself to Windows and Windows will interface with it with the ACPI Thermal Zone driver. This system is open source and frequently motherboard manufacturers will either write their own driver software to interface with the thermal zone, or use their own proprietary hardware and drivers for thermal management. It's really disappointing that motherboard manufacturers use proprietary hardware, but this probably isn't the place to stand on that particular soap box :)
moshi wrote:there are many Rainmeter skins that aren't really useful, so let's add another one.
jsmorley wrote:I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news. [...] We would be happy to have this happen and would love to work with anyone who is feeling ambitious.
Now the good news.
I lied, there isn't any good news...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Bekarfel wrote:I looked up the ACPI functions, and it seems to be a system in the BIOS or UEFI for (among other things) temperature reporting and control that identifies itself to Windows and Windows will interface with it with the ACPI Thermal Zone driver. This system is open source and frequently motherboard manufacturers will either write their own driver software to interface with the thermal zone, or use their own proprietary hardware and drivers for thermal management. It's really disappointing that motherboard manufacturers use proprietary hardware, but this probably isn't the place to stand on that particular soap box :)
Thanks Bekarfel for the information.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

Results for me are the same. Doesn't work even when run as admin. I have an Intel Core i7-6700 (Skylake). :(
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

iamanai wrote:Results for me are the same. Doesn't work even when run as admin. I have an Intel Core i7-6700 (Skylake). :(
I thought all Skylake processors are supported, but it seems I was wrong.
I have no idea what to say, which processors are.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

As Bekarfel said, the problem resides in the motherboard and bios.
I often use this kind of "tricks" to add more informations using Windows registry and so on, but I learned that even two versions of motherboard by the same manufacturer, could give you problems because of some small but essential differences...

In some cases, you' have to use a specific code for every motherboard version, to have the correct values from the bios.
In many other, you can only give up, too complex to be used, or no informations.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yeah fonpaolo, you probably are right. Nothing else to say...
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

You don't know how many times I had to give up to add some more functions and/or informations in my skins, only because when I test my skins, some informations aren't available in all the computers, even if they're build with (almost) the same hardware and by the same manufacturers, but different versions and OS. :(
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Just to go back to the original topic, I also can't use your skin, no thermal informations and my computer isn't so outdated...