It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:07 pm

Rainmeter Update checker

Skins that control functions in Windows or Rainmeter
rbriddickk84
Rainmeter Sage

Rainmeter Update checker

Post by rbriddickk84 »

Greetings everyone! :)

I made an Update checker for Rainmeter. This skin is easy to manipulate, replace the button background, or the alert sound wav file.
This skin is checking for update every hours, which can be change with modifying the UpdateRate section under the [MeasureWebParser] measure.
I included a Readme.txt also which explains further info.

The skin uses the sigcheck.exe addon, which checking the actual installed version of Rainmeter.
IMPORTANT that you must run sigcheck.exe from the addons folder first, accept the terms and other stuffs, and start the skin manually, this must be done only once.
After these steps, the skin will work properly!

Note that if the notification pops up, you can hover the mouse over, and can see the current and the new version of Rainmeter. Clicking on it will opens the Rainmeter website, where you can download the new version. Clicking on it will hide the notification, but after the next site checking the notification will pops up again.

Hope you like it! :)
RainUpdate Notify_1.0.4.1.rmskin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rbriddickk84 on November 27th, 2016, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Rainmeter Update checker

Post by jsmorley »

Works great. Very nice.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

rbriddickk84,

You really need to remove the old "3rd-party" variants of the RunCommand plugin in the "for distribution" folders in your .rmskin. Those are out of date, will never be needed, and bulk-up your .rmskin for no good reason. The RunCommand plugin is included with Rainmeter.
rbriddickk84
Rainmeter Sage

Post by rbriddickk84 »

jsmorley wrote:rbriddickk84,

You really need to remove the old "3rd-party" variants of the RunCommand plugin in the "for distribution" folders in your .rmskin. Those are out of date, will never be needed, and bulk-up your .rmskin for no good reason. The RunCommand plugin is included with Rainmeter.
Thank you very much!!! :D

Okay, will do, i just downloaded that stuff from one of your post what i found, and placed in. :)
I edited the first post to the correct rmskin ;)
Thanks for the correction! :)
LGP123

Post by LGP123 »

Can't you use the registry measure unless of using your 3rd party program ?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

LGP123 wrote:Can't you use the registry measure unless of using your 3rd party program ?
I don't believe that the "properties" of an external program are stored in the Windows Registry anywhere. Why would they be?
LGP123

Post by LGP123 »

The thing i am asking is if you can use the registry measure to get the version installed unless of using the "sigcheck.exe"
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

LGP123 wrote:The thing i am asking is if you can use the registry measure to get the version installed unless of using the "sigcheck.exe"
And my answer was and still is "no"... ;-)
LGP123

Post by LGP123 »

And can i know why ? :3
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

LGP123 wrote:And can i know why ? :3
The "Properties" of any application are not stored in the Windows Registry. You could never have any "portable" program if you depended on that. They are actually stored in the "metadata" of the application executable itself.
2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.