It is currently March 29th, 2024, 11:11 am

ModernGadgets 1.8.2

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
Zop308

Re: ModernGadgets 1.0.0-rc.4 - Feedback is appreciated!

Post by Zop308 »

Hello iamanai,

I just wanted to post to a thank you for your work on ModernGadgets! I was getting ready to attempt building my own small skin to monitor various HWiNFO sensors when I came across ModernGadgets. I think it’s great.

All the skins seem to work just fine on my PC. I didn’t have to change any of the settings (i7-5820K, GTX 980). One small documentation fix: In the Setup-Tutorial under the HWiNFO Shared Memory Viewer instruction there is an “insert image here” where I think you meant to have an image of the SMV window.

Anyway, thanks again. James.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

Zop308 wrote:Hello iamanai,

I just wanted to post to a thank you for your work on ModernGadgets! I was getting ready to attempt building my own small skin to monitor various HWiNFO sensors when I came across ModernGadgets. I think it’s great.

All the skins seem to work just fine on my PC. I didn’t have to change any of the settings (i7-5820K, GTX 980). One small documentation fix: In the Setup-Tutorial under the HWiNFO Shared Memory Viewer instruction there is an “insert image here” where I think you meant to have an image of the SMV window.

Anyway, thanks again. James.
I'm glad you like the gadgets (and that they work for you)! Thank you for pointing out the mistake in the tutorial - I forgot about that image!
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

OH CRAP.

Like, really.

I just noticed that because of the way I made the settings work, when you update, the gadgets will reset themselves back to what I have them set to on my development PC! This is bad...

Time to redo everything! *cries*
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
ÜberUser

Post by ÜberUser »

So far I'm loving the skin :) Everything is concise, easy to read, and the included help is great.

What I'm wondering is if there's a way to add additional GPU meters. I've currently got two GPUs in SLI, and plan to later add a third as a dedicated PhysX card. I've looked around, but haven't seen any skins that support monitoring that kind of GPU setup.

An unrelated meter I'd love to see in this skin is a system uptime meter. (Great for reminding myself to give my rig some downtime every once in a while.)

If these are not features you'd be interested in implementing, any advise on how to expand the skin myself would be much appreciated :)

--
"The following statement is true."
"The preceding statement is false."
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

ÜberUser wrote:So far I'm loving the skin :) Everything is concise, easy to read, and the included help is great.
Glad to know! My previous suite was plagued with hard-to-read instructions, so this is great.
ÜberUser wrote:What I'm wondering is if there's a way to add additional GPU meters. I've currently got two GPUs in SLI, and plan to later add a third as a dedicated PhysX card. I've looked around, but haven't seen any skins that support monitoring that kind of GPU setup.
I have plans for this. It will happen, but not for a while as I still need to fix flaws with the way I designed the suite. It is coming though!
ÜberUser wrote:An unrelated meter I'd love to see in this skin is a system uptime meter. (Great for reminding myself to give my rig some downtime every once in a while.)
Again, there are plans for this. A gadget I'll be adding in the future will be a clock/calendar, and it will also display the system uptime if you so desire.
ÜberUser wrote:If these are not features you'd be interested in implementing, any advise on how to expand the skin myself would be much appreciated :)
You can fork the ModernGadgets GitHub repository if you want to contribute. My advice would be to look closely at how I position the meters in the gadgets, and follow that formatting.

Thanks for all your feedback!
raiguard

Re: ModernGadgets 1.0.0 - Sleek, functional, and useful gadgets

Post by raiguard »

v1.0.0 has been officially released! Some fixes have been made to CPU Meter that would cause it not to adjust to different CPUs in certain conditions. Let me know if you have any issues!

KNOWN ISSUE: I have realized that because of the way I made the settings work, updating will reset the gadgets to the default settings, despite the variables themselves staying modified. A fix for this involves completely redesigning the settings system, and will come in v1.1. I apologize for any inconvenience!
Spazturtle

Re: ModernGadgets 1.0.0 - New look, familiar gadgets

Post by Spazturtle »

Would it be possible to add a way to manually enter the max VRAM and calcualte the percentage from that? My graphics card (7970) does not have a sensor that reports VRAM usage.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

Spazturtle wrote:Would it be possible to add a way to manually enter the max VRAM and calcualte the percentage from that? My graphics card (7970) does not have a sensor that reports VRAM usage.
I did not think of that use case when I made the suite! It'll be in the next version, but for now you can edit the 'MeasureGpu0MemTotal' measure to manually put in the value.

I'll be working on the next version starting next week, as soon as I get home from vacation. Happy New Year!
GekigangerX

Post by GekigangerX »

Great work on the skin!
Question for you: Do you plan to have a battery meter?
Much appreciated! :D
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

GekigangerX wrote:Great work on the skin!
Question for you: Do you plan to have a battery meter?
Much appreciated! :D
I do have plans to implement a battery meter. However, it will be a little while, for there are several issues I need to resolve before I can add any new content (namely how the suite handles settings). I'm working on it though! :thumbup: