It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:43 pm

Rainmeter Top Processes

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
fred_gaou

Re: Rainmeter Top Processes

Post by fred_gaou »

GOOD NEWS !

When rainmeter crashes because of a skin using this plugin, I've found a workaround to fix it until the next time it crashes.

Run this batch AS ADMIN creating a shortcut in your start menu:

Code: Select all

@echo off
cls
title Restart Background Intelligent Transfer Service 

Net stop BITS
Net start BITS
@ping localhost -n 30 >nul
exit
Once BITS has run, Rainmeter will be able to start again after 1 or 2 minute. Run the batch again after 2 minutes if Rainmeter can seem to work.

Actually, it will report that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service is not running and that's the issue it will fix.

It seems that BITS keeps stopping for unknown reasons. There is no warning or error in windows log, just saying that it stopped correctly but with a delay of 28458.187 seconds or so but it's not accurate because it actually auto stop after about 120 seconds after I run it with the batch.

I enabled more logging (event viewer/app & services log/Microsoft/windows/bits-client/analytic) to understand what trigger its end so often and it is normal. I couldn't find something weird. It stops a 1 or 2 minute after I run it. Rainmeter keeps working for a while (≈10 min) after that and ends up crashing.
I'll see if I have to end up creating a schedule task to run Net start BITS command every 5 minutes to prevent rainmeter from crashing.

Please, report here if bits is running on your computer and if you see warning about its end in event viewer/app & services log/Microsoft/windows/bits-client.

If you have idea about why running BITS fix TopProcesses plugin and possible solution to fix it, you're welcome.
  • Rainmeter 4.3.1.3321 64-bit (Sep 22 2019) - French (1036)
  • Windows 10 Pro 1909 64-bit (build 18363) - French (1036)
  • Path: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\
  • SkinPath: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\Skins\
  • SettingsPath: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\
  • IniFile: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
fred_gaou

Post by fred_gaou »

Short live happiness…

Even making a task that run BITS as soon it ends, Rainmeter keep crashing.

We definitely a good and stable plugin that will not be this TopProcesses version. :-(
  • Rainmeter 4.3.1.3321 64-bit (Sep 22 2019) - French (1036)
  • Windows 10 Pro 1909 64-bit (build 18363) - French (1036)
  • Path: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\
  • SkinPath: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\Skins\
  • SettingsPath: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\
  • IniFile: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
mistic100

Post by mistic100 »

Hello

Earlier this year I released TopProcesses 2.2.2 which fixed crashes on Windows 8/10 (never tested on 8 though).
The drawback if this compatiblity fix is that the PID seems to be always empty (not very important though).

I'll make a new release soon to add a asynchronous mode, I realized that all my skins had micro-freeze every time TopProcesses fetches the data, the async mode will fix that.
mistic100

Post by mistic100 »

Also sometimes the plugin stops fetching data for a bunch of minutes and then starts working again.
Actually it looks like the WMI Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process is not really supported, at least it is not listed in the two WMI explorers I tried.