It is currently April 20th, 2024, 3:12 pm

Crash Recovery Desktop Link

Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Community
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Crash Recovery Desktop Link

Post by eclectic-tech »

Most of us have experienced a crash of Rainmeter while editing skins... when this happens, Rainmeter remembers which skins were loaded and will try to load them again when it starts... Yep, it immediately crashes again! :o

Recommendation
A better recovery method (suggested by Brian :thumbup: ) would be to create a layout in Rainmeter with no skins loaded (save it as 'blank') and create a shortcut on your desktop to reset Rainmeter with the path:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe" !LoadLayout Blank
The method to resolve requires a simple edit of Rainmeter.ini that is usually located in your 'C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini'

Accessing and opening that file is easy enough, but you are already frustrated that Rainmeter just crashed, and now you have to navigate to that folder to open and edit the file! :-( ... there in lies the 'rub' for me. :D

Edit: Use Brian's suggestion, it is straightforward and quicker 8-) ... I seem to use the 'Rube Goldberg' approach sometimes :lol:
Last edited by eclectic-tech on April 3rd, 2016, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Developer

Re: Crash Recovery Desktop Link

Post by Brian »

Another option may be to save an empty layout, and then make a shortcut on your desktop (or anywhere) to Rainmeter.exe with the !LoadLayout bang with the name of 'empty' layout.

Of course this will delete any saved positions to your skins and you may have to position them again (or load the @Backup layout once the problem is addressed).

What I like to do is once I get a layout I like, I save it as a my 'current' layout. Then when I make changes that cause Rainmeter to crash (which happens sometimes when I am testing new things), I can just load an empty layout and debug my skins until I find the problem. Once things are good again, I can then load my 'current' layout and get everything back.

-Brian