It is currently April 19th, 2024, 11:49 pm

Change to Yahoo! weather feed

Release announcements and important news from the developers.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Change to Yahoo! weather feed

Post by jsmorley »

It's gotten worse. The XML feed for Yahoo is now almost entirely unreliable as well. There isn't any real simple solution, but I think folks are going to have to migrate away from trying to use Yahoo Weather entirely. The company is clearly in its death-throes, and right now just flailing around like a wounded animal. They will soon be bought by some slash-and-burn corporate raider, and I expect things to only get worse before the inevitable end of Yahoo as a brand.

At this point we are complaining that lunch is late on the Titanic...

People might want to look at this skin:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22152

Not that it is the world's best weather skin, nor that is is likely to be exactly what folks are looking for as a replacement for what they have, but it does have one strength as a resource. It has the regular expressions needed for the ENTIRE Weather.com feed, separated into bite-sized chunks so you can use as little or as much of it as you need for your skin.

The best advice I can give at this point is to get that skin, and take a look at how the main skin .ini file uses the regular expressions in the WXDataWeatherRegExp.inc include file in @Resources. While it won't be a simple plug-and-play to change your current Yahoo Weather skin to use it, it can be done.
brinkeguthrie

Post by brinkeguthrie »

I like that skin you showed---but is there anyway to strip out everything but the CURRENT temp?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

brinkeguthrie wrote:I like that skin you showed---but is there anyway to strip out everything but the CURRENT temp?
Sure. Edit it and change it.
brinkeguthrie

Post by brinkeguthrie »

ok, well i don't have that skill set.
becausebatman

Post by becausebatman »

Hi jsmorley,

thanks for your update below regarding the current status of the Yahoo weather feed. I joined the forum just now to follow up on the same issue which I'm having as well.

i went ahead and changed the url to xml.weather.yahoo.com from yahooapis and everything was working perfectly fine only 1-2 days ago. However when I start up my system now, only the times and dates are displayed.

I have taken screen shots of my desktop here:

Before (all city names and weather status is showing):

http://i.imgur.com/M1m7SjS.png

Now (only time and date are showing):

http://i.imgur.com/ChZRR0g.png

Do you think this issue with Yahoo's weather feed will be fixed? or is it completely uncertain at this point?

Thanks for your help and advice!
jsmorley wrote:It's gotten worse. The XML feed for Yahoo is now almost entirely unreliable as well. There isn't any real simple solution, but I think folks are going to have to migrate away from trying to use Yahoo Weather entirely. The company is clearly in its death-throes, and right now just flailing around like a wounded animal. They will soon be bought by some slash-and-burn corporate raider, and I expect things to only get worse before the inevitable end of Yahoo as a brand.

At this point we are complaining that lunch is late on the Titanic...

People might want to look at this skin:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22152

Not that it is the world's best weather skin, nor that is is likely to be exactly what folks are looking for as a replacement for what they have, but it does have one strength as a resource. It has the regular expressions needed for the ENTIRE Weather.com feed, separated into bite-sized chunks so you can use as little or as much of it as you need for your skin.

The best advice I can give at this point is to get that skin, and take a look at how the main skin .ini file uses the regular expressions in the WXDataWeatherRegExp.inc include file in @Resources. While it won't be a simple plug-and-play to change your current Yahoo Weather skin to use it, it can be done.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

becausebatman wrote:Hi jsmorley,

thanks for your update below regarding the current status of the Yahoo weather feed. I joined the forum just now to follow up on the same issue which I'm having as well.

i went ahead and changed the url to xml.weather.yahoo.com from yahooapis and everything was working perfectly fine only 1-2 days ago. However when I start up my system now, only the times and dates are displayed.

I have taken screen shots of my desktop here:

Before (all city names and weather status is showing):

http://i.imgur.com/M1m7SjS.png

Now (only time and date are showing):

http://i.imgur.com/ChZRR0g.png

Do you think this issue with Yahoo's weather feed will be fixed? or is it completely uncertain at this point?

Thanks for your help and advice!
Yeah, the Yahoo feed is down for me now as well. It was up for at least part of yesterday, but it is just unreliable.

I would really consider switching to another feed, perhaps the Weather.com (WXData) feed I posted about, or Weather Underground or some other service. I really think Yahoo is on hold with the Suicide Hotline right now.
rootdrl

Post by rootdrl »

-
Last edited by rootdrl on May 14th, 2016, 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ask me things?
ChodaBoy

Post by ChodaBoy »

artyom wrote:Here's the fixed YahooWeather.inc for Enigma users... seems to be working for now, but let me know if there are any problems.
Thank you!
Jayes

Post by Jayes »

So I'm using the CircuitousTwo weather skin and I changed it to the new formatting about 3 weeks ago but then about a week ago it just stopped working again just like before, any ideas?
alexbond

Post by alexbond »

Jayes wrote:So I'm using the CircuitousTwo weather skin and I changed it to the new formatting about 3 weeks ago but then about a week ago it just stopped working again just like before, any ideas?
I fixed format for CircuitousTwo, worked part for yweather.ini

Code: Select all

[mWeather]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser
URL=https://query.yahooapis.com/v1/public/yql?q=select%20*%20from%20weather.forecast%20where%20woeid=#woeid#%20AND%20u="#unit#"
RegExp=(?siU)<yweather:units.*temperature="(.*)".*<link>(.*)</link>.*<yweather:location.*city="(.*)".*<pubDate>(.*)</pubDate>.*<yweather:condition.*code="(.*)".*temp="(.*)".*text="(.*)".*code="(.*)".*high="(.*)".*low="(.*)".*text="(.*)"
ForceReload=1
UpdateRate=900

[mTitle]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser
URL=[mWeather]
StringIndex=3

[mLink]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser
URL=[mWeather]
StringIndex=2