It is currently September 29th, 2024, 9:38 am

Shared desktop notes

General topics related to Rainmeter.
superfalse

Shared desktop notes

Post by superfalse »

I'm looking for a way to share the desktop notes on my home PC with my PC at work. The only skin I've found so far is this one that grabs the content from a Google Docs document. Unfortunately it is very unreliable, it is just blank most of the time and only works occasionally.
Do you know any other solutions?
Active Colors

Re: Shared desktop notes

Post by Active Colors »

Share .txt via dropbox? Make a skin that will read the file from your dropbox folder on your home pc and work pc.
superfalse

Post by superfalse »

Good idea, I don't like Dropbox though. I'm glad I don't have to use it any more.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'm not sure this will be possible in any really easy way. The issue with "sharing" the information in a .txt or other file from your home to your work computers can really only be handled in two general ways:

1) Share the document via one of the tool dedicated to dong this. That could be dropbox, or Google Drive, or Google Docs, or OneNote, or EverNote, or probably a dozen others. The issue with all of these is that WebParser cannot "log on" or use cookies, so anything you share would have to either be shared "publicly", which I doubt you would want, or you might be able to use some "public direct link" to the file, that only you know. Far from perfect security.

2) Use either an HTTP or FTP server on your home PC to directly share the document via those protocols. Aside from the hassle of setting either of those up and making sure they are running while you are at work, you are going to have the same "security" issues as above to deal with.

I'd personally be tempted to use HTTP by setting up TinyWeb or something on my home PC on port 8080 or whatever. Have some javascript that looks for http://YourID:YourPassword@34.82.182.41:8080, then displays the file as pure HTML. WebParser should be able to get that.
moshi

Post by moshi »

jsmorley wrote:
1) Share the document via one of the tool dedicated to dong this. That could be dropbox, or Google Drive, or Google Docs, or OneNote, or EverNote, or probably a dozen others. The issue with all of these is that WebParser cannot "log on" or use cookies, so anything you share would have to either be shared "publicly", which I doubt you would want, or you might be able to use some "public direct link" to the file, that only you know. Far from perfect security.

just install desktop clients on both computers and sync a local folder. then the file will be in sync as a local file. no need to share it publicly.
very simple actually (as it should). works fine with Yandex.Disk or Cloud Mail.Ru (and probably all other cloud storage services as well). of the services you mentioned the choice would be Google Drive.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

moshi wrote:just install desktop clients on both computers and sync a local folder. then the file will be in sync as a local file. no need to share it publicly.
very simple actually (as it should). works fine with Yandex.Disk or Cloud Mail.Ru (and probably all other services as well)
Yeah, that has the advantage of being able to edit the file either place as well I guess.
moshi

Post by moshi »

sure. actually forgot OneDrive. that's built into Windows 8 and up, so no need to install anything. just don't like to use it, i prefer my data to be read by the FSB rather than the NSA. :)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

moshi wrote:sure. actually forgot OneDrive. that's built into Windows 8 and up, so no need to install anything. just don't like to use it, i prefer my data to be read by the FSB rather than the NSA. :)
The NSA already knows all about you and your mountaintop lair... ;-)
moshi

Post by moshi »

oh my. so i'd better hit that big red button right now ...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »