It is currently September 29th, 2024, 9:35 am

Rainmeter YouTube Tutorials

General topics related to Rainmeter.
shAdowz

Rainmeter YouTube Tutorials

Post by shAdowz »

If anyone would be willing, I think it would be great to make this possible. Not only will there be a reference on how to create skins, but I believe this would reduce the "clutter" in this forum. Also, I think this would also encourage other users who are interested in Rainmeter to make their own creations, thus expanding or popularizing Rainmeter to some extent (I think).

If this is a good idea, the only problem would be who will be willing to make the tutorials?
Active Colors

Re: Rainmeter YouTube Tutorials

Post by Active Colors »

It can have positive outcomes, but from my point of view it discourages users to understand and learn by themselves. To all new users I will suggest taking a look at already submitted skins. For instance, jsmorley's skins from 'Share Your Creations' section are good place to start from.

Here is a link to all his skins from that section https://forum.rainmeter.net/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&author=jsmorley&fid[]=27&sf=titleonly
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

I don't think there is a much better way to get off the ground with rainmeter coding than fiddling around with existing skins to make them do what you want them to do. I honestly don't think there is much that could be illustrated in YouTube that isn't already covered in the online rainmeter manual.

In fact, there are already a few "Tutorials" on YouTube, but they tend to cover the installation or customisation of specific collections of skins. To me, this makes more sense than trying to teach people how to code rainmeter by way of a video.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I agree that videos are probably not the best way to teach how to create skins, since most of that is just done in a text editor and is not particularly visual. A series of videos about using Rainmeter itself would be ok, but my only problem with that is that it is really a lot of work, and they very quickly get out of date. A video showing the wrong way to do something is worse than no video.
Blaziken799

Post by Blaziken799 »

How about a video demonstrating all the bangs and other commands, explaining them and how to use them. Cause you got to admit some codes descriptions on this this site are kinda vague.
As a newby myself there are some codes that i don't understand even after reading the description or testing it a 1000 times.
f.e what is hell is [!redraw]? I don't know what it is, I just know that it works so I copy and paste it all the time in my code.

I'm sure there are others like me who could use some assistance with codes instead of always relying on this mastermind in the post above ;)

But that's just my opinion pls no hate :D
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Blaziken799 wrote:...
f.e what is hell is [!redraw]? I don't know what it is, I just know that it works so I copy and paste it all the time in my code.
I don't think is so complicated, here's what is explained in the docs (Bangs):
Overrides the setting of the Update option in [Rainmeter] and immediately redraws all visible elements of the entire skin. Meters will use the last value obtained for any measures or variables referenced.

Literally what it means. ;-)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'm all for any videos anyone wants to do. As long as they are entirely correct, and kept current as Rainmeter changes.

Go for it! I hear James Earl Jones is available to do the "This... is Rainmeter" intro voice-over.
shAdowz

Post by shAdowz »

You guys have a point. Well maybe I'm (or some other users) not just trying hard enough to learn and master the language. Also, I'm the kind of learner that learns more by seeing what happens rather than reading it but again, it just shows that I'm not trying hard enough.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

I want video about rainmeter with pewdiepie.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Active Colors wrote:I want video about rainmeter with pewdiepie.
No, Yahtzee... ;-)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation