It is currently March 29th, 2024, 4:59 am

Stupid Windows Taskbar Question

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
Aboss

Stupid Windows Taskbar Question

Post by Aboss »

Out of curiosity, what do most people use to hide/disable their windows taskbars? I've seen an assortment of addons for RocketDock (such as this one) that do it pretty well, and there's programs like Taskbar Eliminator which I would assume work fine, but is there any sort of standard, or does anyone have any favorites? I adore most of the taskbar-less themes and desktops I've seen and it would be great to get some input.

A few examples of taskbar-less desktops using Rainmeter:
Example 1
Example 2
BrianHeston

Re: Stupid Windows Taskbar Question

Post by BrianHeston »

I don't know what the majority of people here are using, but I personally like Emerge Desktop. I has a lot of replacement functionality such as applets for showing your tray icons, and icons for your currently running tasks as well.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

I kept my taskbar. It is honestly a very useful tool which, at this point, I'm nowhere near ready to give up. This goes double for the Windows 7 bar - they just made it even more awesome. Rocketdock and the like are very good programs and definitely have their place but, in my opinion, don't come close to matching what the taskbar does for me. My solution is to find a uxtheme.dll patcher (Google it) and just give it a nice theme. The one I have is similar to the default XP theme, but black. That way you can keep the functionality of the bar, but not have the blue/green/silver eyesore (at least in XP). I'm sure Vista has a similar solution.
ImageImageImageImage
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

I kept my task bar and use a visual style, I have RKLauncher as a dock where i gather all my desktop shortcuts to keep it clean, I do not think i will quit on windows taskbar, i tried to substitute it many times, with tones of programs but in the end i move it on top of screen and since it remained there (i did not find a program to have all taskbar features).
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
Varelse

Post by Varelse »

All I do is auto-hide the taskbar and move it to the top of the screen. Makes it look clean, and I have access to the taskbar when I need it. Takes a little while to get used to though.
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

I use bbLean. It basically lets you redo your entire desktop.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
RetardedRaven

Post by RetardedRaven »

I personally keep my taskbar, windows seems to be the best so far and with visual styles it's never a problem. Also and while this may seem odd you can just unlock the toolbar and drag it down it leaves like a single line but it does get it out of the way without using some auxiliary program.
karmat

Post by karmat »

I keep the taskbar as well, it's useful, and because I use Windowblinds, it always looks good. If I want to feature a wallpaper in a screenshot, I just put it on autohide. Or if the start button is ugly (orb or winflag) I use Start Killer.
UNleash

Post by UNleash »

I'm using a simple .exe called "Hide Taskbar".
It hides it and thats okay. If you launch it again, it recovers it.