It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:00 pm

Is my idea plausible?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
emiko

Is my idea plausible?

Post by emiko »

Okay so I want to make a new launcher, and I got this idea from one that someone created on da...this http://fiper.deviantart.com/art/GP-30977998...

but basically, it would look like this:

so the grey buttons are transparent, and when you mouse over them, the name of whatever program would pop up, and turn white, and then you know, click to execute whatever.

And this...well for me, would actually be very small, like...maybe 100x100 px.

So like...yeah...from a coding perspective...would this be possible to create? Would it be difficult?

It would be cool if I could put sound to it, like when you mouse over a circle...but that seems a bit ambitious lol
Kaelri
Developer

Re: Is my idea plausible?

Post by Kaelri »

This is completely doable. Even the sound wouldn't be too hard, I think. I like the style, too, so I'll take some time tomorrow and write up a prototype for you.
emiko

Post by emiko »

wow omg you're amazing! :love:

thanks so much :D (We need a hugging smilie...lol)
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

We have this one instead: :beer:

It's manlier ;).
ImageImageImageImage
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Here is a dock that while it looks nothing like what you are trying to do, demonstrates how you could accomplish all of what you want including sounds and popup text labels.

ftp://uzaeagle.serveftp.com/rainmeter/ButtonDock.zip

Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

Here ya go.

I'm pleased with this. Along with the button labels and launch commands, you can customize variables for the text style, all the colors, the radius of the buttons and the gap between them. The text and the buttons will automatically adjust to each other.

The skin also uses a copy of JSMorley's new audio-player app for the sound effect. You can eliminate this and use Rainmeter's internal sound player bang, but it causes a significant lag when used in this manner.

Also, you'll notice a tiny bit of lag between when you mouse over the buttons and when the label appears. This is a small side effect of the coding method I used, but I can fix it if you wish.

Video (because Camtasia Studio is awesome):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeQEN6c5U-Q[/youtube]
P2C

Post by P2C »

Kaelri wrote:Here ya go.

I'm pleased with this. Along with the button labels and launch commands, you can customize variables for the text style, all the colors, the radius of the buttons and the gap between them. The text and the buttons will automatically adjust to each other.

The skin also uses a copy of JSMorley's new audio-player app for the sound effect. You can eliminate this and use Rainmeter's internal sound player bang, but it causes a significant lag when used in this manner.

Also, you'll notice a tiny bit of lag between when you mouse over the buttons and when the label appears. This is a small side effect of the coding method I used, but I can fix it if you wish.
It´s nice, I like it. It sounds good, too.
Very small but totally functional.
And I´ve never seen these "Add-on", too :shock:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Note that the PlayIt.exe Kaelri has included is very specific in purpose. It is an alternative for the "PLAY" command in Rainmeter. Why? The PLAY command in Rainmeter is very simple and takes a sound file as input and just plays it. The issue is that PLAY causes Rainmeter to "pause" while the sound is playing. Using PlayIt.exe forks another process to play the sound file, and so Rainmeter continues without the terrible lag possible with PLAY.

It's not an "audio player" in any real sense of the word, just a way to have "sound effects" (clicks for buttons, beeps for notifications, etc.) in Rainmeter without the lag of the PLAY command.
emiko

Post by emiko »

Kaelri wrote:Here ya go.

Video (because Camtasia Studio is awesome):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeQEN6c5U-Q[/youtube]
totally amazing. I've fiddled around with it and got it to where I like it, and I'm so incredibly happy! Thank you soo much :love: :love: :love:

I really love how easy it is to use and change as well. I don't mind the lag at all either.

~yey~ Thank you again<3

@JSMorsley: oh! interesting! I'll remember that in case I ever want to make a skin with sound :)
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

I've uploaded this to my deviantArt gallery as a part of my portfolio. I made sure to give you complete and unconditional credit for the design concept, but if you object, please don't hesitate to tell me, and I'll remove it immediately.