It is currently April 20th, 2024, 7:07 am

Getting 'Update' Value

Discuss the use of Lua in Script measures.
Socks the Fox

Getting 'Update' Value

Post by Socks the Fox »

I'm just about ready to release an update to my Chameleon demo skin, which now uses a lua script to do some basic cross-fading. I'd really like for it to grab the update rate for the overall skin programmatically instead of currently assuming a 25ms timestep, but can't figure out how.

Alternatively, it'd be okay to be able to get the current timestamp in ms, which could be used to figure out the actual time between updates with some basic math, but I can't find how to do that without creating another measure and is a bit overkill anyway.
Author of Chameleon :: Like my plugin? Consider donating! I don't need much :3
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Getting 'Update' Value

Post by jsmorley »

Socks the Fox wrote:I'm just about ready to release an update to my Chameleon demo skin, which now uses a lua script to do some basic cross-fading. I'd really like for it to grab the update rate for the overall skin programmatically instead of currently assuming a 25ms timestep, but can't figure out how.

Alternatively, it'd be okay to be able to get the current timestamp in ms, which could be used to figure out the actual time between updates with some basic math, but I can't find how to do that without creating another measure and is a bit overkill anyway.
There really is no good way to do that. The skin does not expose its own Update value in any way you can get at in Lua, and you can't even depend on reading the skin itself, as it could be encoded as UTF-16 which Lua can't read. I think the best bet it just have the Update rate of the skin hard-coded as an option on the Lua Script measure.

[MeasureScript]
Measure=Script
SkinUpateRate=25

Then in the Lua:

Function Initialize()
skinUpdateRate = SELF:GetOption('SkinUpdateRate')
end