It is currently September 29th, 2024, 9:35 am

DNG Support

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Seahorse

DNG Support

Post by Seahorse »

Any possibility of DNG support being added to Image meter?
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

jsmorley
Developer

Re: DNG Support

Post by jsmorley »

Seahorse wrote:Any possibility of DNG support being added to Image meter?
.dng is not really intended as a "display" format. It is intended as a high quality, metadata-rich "source" format from cameras. It is more or less a TIFF file with a boatload of metadata. Do you really want to include 20meg images in your skins anyway?

In any case, no. We support what Microsoft supports in the image routines in GDI+ / D2D and it would have to be a very popular display format indeed before we considered rolling our own.

P.S. Just a suggestion, you might consider using the .jpg format for your screenshot in your signature. That .png full-screen image you are using a quite large (3.2meg), and by simply saving it as a .jpg, even at 100% quality, it would be 500k or so. Right now your posts take a noticeably long time to load unless your image is in my cache.
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

I have good broadband and a fast PC and don't notice file sizes or performance issues downloading or viewing, which makes it hard to spot issues for those on more modest connections or PCs. That said, screen-shot converted and 20Mb file sizes makes no odds on a modern PC with Gigs of RAM

Windows 10 natively supports RAW files, sadly not DNG without Adobe's codec and I convert all of mine to DNG when importing in Lightroom. The reason I ask is my RAW files are in my photos directory, which has north of 50k files and obviously includes tons of RAW files which pop up in my slideshow skin and fail to render and have no jpg conversion; I don't render everything I shoot.
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Well, GDI+ supports natively decoding:

BMP
GIF
JPEG
PNG
TIFF
WMF
EMF
ICO

Unless that changes, we are not likely to add any formats.
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

Thanks, at least I now know what it does support! :)
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt