It is currently September 29th, 2024, 9:22 am

GitHub with multiple projects

General topics related to Rainmeter.
raiguard

GitHub with multiple projects

Post by raiguard »

So I am a new-ish Rainmeter developer who is currently working on "illustro Gadgets". Last week I started using GitHub for version control, but I've run into a problem. All RM skin packs that use GitHub have the source folder, then "Skins\[name]" in which they put the skins.

So if I don't want to do a lot of copying and pasting into a cloned repo in a separate folder, I'd need to make a repository that would contain all of the rainmeter skins I currently have installed. This simply won't do. And especially since I've began helping with "ForceXtended" (which uses the before-mentioned "Skins\ForceXtended" structure for the skins in the repository) I need a way to have multiple repositories overlapping. As far as I can see from researching it, it's impossible.

Does anybody have any ideas?
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
raiguard

Re: GitHub with multiple projects

Post by raiguard »

I got an answer from mallchin, author of ForceXtended. He solves this problem by using mklink. See this link to learn about it: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/278262-mklink-create-use-links-windows.html

After you've read over the linked page, this is my explanation using its terminology:

I created a junction at "D:\Files\Settings\iamanai\Rainmeter\Skins\ForceXtended" with target "D:\Files\iamanai\Development\Rainmeter\Projects\ForceXtendes\Skins\ForceXtended". Command:

Code: Select all

mklink /j D:\Files\Settings\iamanai\Rainmeter\Skins\ForceXtended D:\Files\iamanai\Development\Rainmeter\Projects\ForceXtended\Skins\ForceXtended
So now the files exist in Rainmeter\Skins\ForceXtended, as well as Rainmeter\Projects\ForceXtended\Skins\ForceXtended, with updates to one having effect on the other. They're basically overpowered shortcuts!

Hope this is useful.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017