It is currently September 29th, 2024, 9:28 am

Rainmeter 100% safe to install?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
NukingNerdz

Rainmeter 100% safe to install?

Post by NukingNerdz »

I'd like to know if the Rainmeter 3.3 beta really is 100% safe to install :D
I'm a little bit worried about my safety as virustotal flags 2/56 https://www.virustotal.com/fi/file/38a4137ac0e1e7ba66ec38b2b61121fed4a2b796229c124cd73fcb1b57be0a1d/analysis/1445113579/

And hybrid-analysis shows 75/100 threatscore https://www.hybrid-analysis.com/sample/38a4137ac0e1e7ba66ec38b2b61121fed4a2b796229c124cd73fcb1b57be0a1d?environmentId=2

I really would like to install rainmeter to make my desktop look a lot nicer and everything but not if the cost is the safety of my browsing :confused:
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Rainmeter 100% safe to install?

Post by jsmorley »

It really is 100% safe.
NukingNerdz

Post by NukingNerdz »

jsmorley wrote:It really is 100% safe.
If you take a look at those analysies, are you able to explain why the installer flags so much? I'm pretty curious about that.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

NukingNerdz wrote:If you take a look at those analysies, are you able to explain why the installer flags so much? I'm pretty curious about that.
My explanation is that 90% of antivirus programs are complete crap.
NukingNerdz

Post by NukingNerdz »

jsmorley wrote:My explanation is that 90% of antivirus programs are complete crap.
Could you take a look at the hybrid-analysis page? Its scan is based on other things than AVs and their false detections, so it is much more reliable :D
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

NukingNerdz wrote:Could you take a look at the hybrid-analysis page? Its scan is based on other things than AVs and their false detections, so it is much more reliable :D
I'm sorry. I personally create the builds that we post on our main site, and you can be sure there is no malware or virus problems with it. That is all I can really say. If you are not convinced, I can understand that you might not install or use Rainmeter. That is entirely up to you of course.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

I have to say that I'm using Rainmeter for more years and had no problems at all. I'm upgrading from time to time, to newer versions and all of them was safe 100%. Also, a lot of people are using it, so, I don't think you have to worry about its safety.
NukingNerdz

Post by NukingNerdz »

jsmorley wrote:I'm sorry. I personally create the builds that we post on our main site, and you can be sure there is no malware or virus problems with it. That is all I can really say. If you are not convinced, I can understand that you might not install or use Rainmeter. That is entirely up to you of course.
Alright, that's good to hear :) Before I proceed with downloading and running the installer, do you have any answers why hybrid-analysis flagged this behavior: "Contains ability to retrieve keyboard strokes" ?
Does the Rainmeter have possibilities to modify any keyboard based things or what? The flag points directly at a keylogger of some kind and I'm really, really afraid of getting one :confused:
NukingNerdz

Post by NukingNerdz »

balala wrote:I have to say that I'm using Rainmeter for more years and had no problems at all. I'm upgrading from time to time, to newer versions and all of them was safe 100%. Also, a lot of people are using it, so, I don't think you have to worry about its safety.
I have been thinking about the same thing as there are so many users and I haven't found any "phished, hacked etc" threads about it :D But safety first as always and I'm pretty curious about the flags anyway.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

NukingNerdz wrote:Alright, that's good to hear :) Before I proceed with downloading and running the installer, do you have any answers why hybrid-analysis flagged this behavior: "Contains ability to retrieve keyboard strokes" ?
Does the Rainmeter have possibilities to modify any keyboard based things or what? The flag points directly at a keylogger of some kind and I'm really, really afraid of getting one :confused:
Rainmeter is very intimate with your hardware, as one of the primary things it does is monitor your hardware. It has lots of capabilities that might be suspicious in the context of another program, like getting keyboard input (InputText plugin) or copying things to the clipboard (!GetClip bang) and who knows what else.

Really, all I can tell you is that it is 100% safe as long as you get it from us, and you will just have to decide what you want to do.