It is currently April 18th, 2024, 3:41 pm

balala now a Rainmeter Sage

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: balala now a Rainmeter Sage

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote:A little off topic, but I saw you're good with transformation matrix, feeds and moving texts. I had an addon for Firefox called RSSTicker, which "scrolled" the texts of the feeds much like the pretty common TV news ticker. Unfortunately, his author has stopped developing it, due to the constant changes in the Firefox engine. Do you think it would be doable in Rainmeter with decent CPU usage? And if you do, do you think it would make a good project for you? :D
Treading perilously close to a skin request here aren't we? ;-)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote:Treading perilously close to a skin request here aren't we? ;-)
Mmm...let me see. Yes? 8-)
Did you have to reveal this so bluntly, jsmorley? I was already going to celebrate flanking (probably not the best translation) eclectic-tech over it, haha! Now I'll have to buy him a beer for it... :D

And I thought Rainmeter stuff was free, lol.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Ouch....I just read your warnings and calls for war over the folks daring to make a skin request, jsmorley. Didn't know it was forbidden :)

Joking aside, I don't think it would be a great deal technically, on the design/animation side. But from what I read, the RSS stuff is not exactly a walk in the park. For example, the Regex-es and stuff don't scare me, but YQL or those Atom feeds differences compared to the "normal" RSS parsing technique look a little complicated at a first look.

I might be wrong though and things could be easier in practice. It was just my first read of the RSS tutorial, after all...
Still thinking how (and if) such a skin would fit into my mini suite. Probably not, due to the text length - some workarounds might be required.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Yincognito wrote:Mmm...let me see. Yes? 8-)
Did you have to reveal this so bluntly, jsmorley? I was already going to celebrate flanking (probably not the best translation) eclectic-tech over it, haha! Now I'll have to buy him a beer for it... :D

And I thought Rainmeter stuff was free, lol.
I was already in the process of updating several skins that use a "ticker"; adding an updated script (smurfier's original with UTF-8 mod) to allow handling of foreign language feeds. Let me "clean" them up a bit, and I will post an update for you to play with... as some have commented, it is not too complicated, and I think you can easily modify the code to suit your project. ;-)

I don't necessarily view this as a direct skin request... more of a "prompt" for collaboration, which I find could be beneficial, exploring an idea someone might not want to tried on their own. :???:

Boy has this thread be hi-jacked :o

Congratulations Again Balala!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote:Congratulations Again Balala!
Thanks (again), eclectic-tech.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

eclectic-tech wrote:...adding an updated script (smurfier's original with UTF-8 mod)...
Yep, not long after my last post, thinking I should not reinvent the wheel if it's already made, I found smurfier's skins. If I were to make it happen, it probably would be a combination of marqueereader_v1_3_by_smurfier (which doesn't work though) with LuaMarquee_6.2. LuaMarquee would probably be exactly what I was looking for from a design point of view (given the fact that it suits perfectly to the dimensions of my mini suite), only that instead of measures and variables, it would scroll the feeds. And if it would have a problem with high CPU usage, I would make feeds scroll vertically, which would imply CPU usage only for a 20 pixels move instead of some 200+ for the current horizontal scrolling.

I would try to do it all without the help of Lua though. But I'll just wait to see what you come up with, while also trying to do something on my own with pieces of that code. Most likely I'll have to "hack" your future code anyway, as I would like to make the feeds "dissapear" (or have some sort of marker over them) after being read.

Sorry to hijack this topic, balala. If necessary, I'll make a new topic for this, if anyone is bothered by my intrusion ;-)