It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:06 pm

... new to rainmeter and docks... forgive me!

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Brett

... new to rainmeter and docks... forgive me!

Post by Brett »

So I am very interested in Rainmeter and have been experimenting with RocketDock and there is one main question/issue I have with really changing up my desktop. I do a lot of (all) my work in maximized windows and have a problem with being able to access the dock or taskbar section of my desktop if my maximized window covers it up. Since most of the applications I use tend to have menu bars on the top, left, and right the only alternative is the bottom, which is taken by the windows taskbar. I have seen soooo many beautiful skins and desktop configs, but how do you make them functional with maximized windows? I have been using my rocket dock on the right side of the desktop on Auto-hide with some success but still mouse over it when scrolling documents of using AutoCAD. Sorry I had to ask a presumably dumb question but im not even sure how to search the forum for a similar answer! Thanks!
Kaelri
Developer

Re: ... new to rainmeter and docks... forgive me!

Post by Kaelri »

Rainmeter has a setting called DesktopWorkArea. This allows you to change the desktop area that's reserved for maximized windows. Usually, the only area that Windows reserves is for the taskbar, but DWA allows you to keep a space clear on all four sides of the screen, if you want it to. For example, my Rainmeter config looks like this:

The top of the screen is my Windows taskbar, but I also want to keep the bottom bar, which is purely Rainmeter, clear of maximized windows. The bar is 44 pixels high, and my resolution is 1280x800. So I add the following line to my theme file, under the [Rainmeter] section:

Code: Select all

DesktopWorkArea=0,44,1280,756
This sets the corners of my work area as (0,44) and (1280, 756) - which leaves an area 44 pixels tall on both the top and bottom of the screen. Thus, the bottom bar is no longer overlapped by a maximized window:

Brett

Re: ... new to rainmeter and docks... forgive me!

Post by Brett »

That is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you for the follow through!