It is currently September 29th, 2024, 9:39 am

Upgraded to Windows 10 - Rainmeter Doesn't Function

General topics related to Rainmeter.
dandean

Upgraded to Windows 10 - Rainmeter Doesn't Function

Post by dandean »

So, I upgraded to Windows 10 - no problem there.

First thin I notice is that Rainmeter won't start up. I click on Rainmeter.exe and tell it to open (run as administrator). Nothing.

Keeps returning message "There are no available skins at: C:\users\Dan\Documents\Rainmeter\skins"

I had several skins saved previously, so what's up? Where'd they go? Bigger question is why can't I get Rainmeter to run at all? I've uninstalled and re-installed twice without success.

Anyone else see this issue after upgrading to Windows 10?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 - Rainmeter Doesn't Function

Post by jsmorley »

Not entirely sure, but there is something amiss, either with the contents of C:\users\Dan\Documents\Rainmeter\skins, or with permissions on that folder for your account.

What that error you are getting is saying is that the C:\Users\Dan\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins folder exists, but it doesn't have any config folders or skin .ini files in it, or that it exists but the account your currently logged into doesn't have "read" capability on the files in the folder.

With the "permissions" issue, the only time I have really ever seen that is when you install a new version of the OS, and then "restore" folders from a backup you made under the previous version, and some folders are not seen as "owned" by your account in the new OS. There is a solution for that if you think that might be the case:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

However, first I would try this:

http://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/clean-rainmeter-uninstall

Be sure to make backup copies of any skins you currently have, so you can put them back after you get things working in a "clean" installation of Rainmeter.
dandean

Post by dandean »

Well, your suggestion of checking the folder permissions was spot-on. I went through and changed them all to allow total access and voila! - it worked.

Thanks!

Dan
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Glad to help.