It is currently April 25th, 2024, 2:05 pm

MSSpeak

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
jsmorley
Developer

MSSpeak

Post by jsmorley »

Unfortunately, Google has decided to block the ability for direct calls via URL to their text-to-speech API, which means that the JSMSpeak3.exe addon I had created long ago no longer works.

There is an alternative however, which is to use the text-to-speech capabilities built-into Windows. I have updated another addon, MSSpeak.exe, to allow you to access this functionality in your skins. It is reasonably trivial to modify a skin using JSMSpeak3 to use this instead.

Install either or both of these example skins, and the MSSpeak.exe addon, AutoIt source code, and some instructions will be in the @Resources\Addons folder of the skin.
WeatherYahooSpeaking_3.0.rmskin
WeatherYahooSpeaking.jpg
MSSpeak_2.0.rmskin
MSSpeak.jpg
The format of the MSSpeak.exe addon is:
"PathToMSSpeak.exe" "TextToSpeak" "VoiceNumberToUse" "Volume" "Rate"
All parameters are required.

LeftMouseUpAction=["#@#MSSpeak.exe" "Hello World" "1" "100" "-1"]

The TTS.au3 code is based on the work by Universalist at:
http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/100439-text-to-speech-udf/#entry718271

You can set any Microsoft Text-to-speech voice installed on your system by changing
the Voice variable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_text-to-speech_voices

Windows 7 comes installed with a single voice, which may vary
depending on the language your Windows installation uses. Only Voice=1 will
work, any other choice will just default to "1".
In the English version of Windows 7, it is:
1 : Microsoft Anna (Female US)

Windows 10 comes with two voices, which may vary depending on the language your
Windows installation uses. Voice=1/2 will work with Windows 10.
In the English version of Windows 10, they are:
1 : Microsoft David (Male US)
2 : Microsoft Zira (Female US)

Volume must be set from 0 to 100.
Rate must be set from -10 to 10

Note that punctuation like , . ; : ? ! are useful for altering the rhythm of the
output, to make for more natural sounding speech. In addition, depending on the language
and other cultural factors, you may find that the "correct" spelling of a word may
not actually provide the most natural sounding spoken output.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sabertooth

Re: MSSpeak

Post by Sabertooth »

Thanks for the update!

I'm having a problem though. MS Security Essentials is flagging a virus in both skins. Looks like it thinks MSSpeak.exe is a virus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Sabertooth wrote:Thanks for the update!

I'm having a problem though. MS Security Essentials is flagging a virus in both skins. Looks like it thinks MSSpeak.exe is a virus.
That is quite common with AutoIt addons, you can make an exception in Windows Defender for it.

Edit: I have digitally signed the executable, and hopefully that will make Defender happy. Try downloading and installing them again.
Sabertooth

Post by Sabertooth »

jsmorley wrote:Edit: I have digitally signed the executable, and hopefully that will make Defender happy. Try downloading and installing them again.
I had already added the exception but I think I was able to remove it and retry the install with out any issues this time.

I adjusted my custom skin to use the Windows Text to Speech engine and have my talking clock with hourly chime running again. I have to say the voices aren't quite as natural sounding as the google translate one. I wonder if we'll be able to access the Cortana voice in Windows 10. That seems to sound a little better I think.

Thanks again for the updates! I was motivated to fix several issue that have developed over the years so now my skins are all working 100% again.
Last edited by Sabertooth on August 8th, 2015, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Sabertooth wrote: I had already added the exception but I think I was able to remove it and retry the install with out any issues this time.

I adjusted my custom skin to use the Windows Text to Speech engine and have my talking clock with hourly chime running again. I have to say the voices aren't quite as natural sounding as the google translate one. I wonder if we'll be able to access the Cortana voice in Windows 10. That seems to sound a little better I think.

Thanks again for the updates! I was motivated to fix several issue that have developed over the years so now my skins are all working 100% again.
Good deal. I don't know if we will get more voice options with Win10, time will tell I guess.
moshi

Post by moshi »

i made a few of these for my Evi skin a while ago.

this male voice is nice (and it's in English, no matter what system language the user has)

https://yadi.sk/d/zS3QBT_0iLHex
Sabertooth

Post by Sabertooth »

Do you need an account to download? The download button didn't do anything in Chrome or IE.
moshi

Post by moshi »

no.
be sure to click the button that says "Download", the highlighted yellow button is for saving the file to Yandex.Disk
else it might be your anti-virus that doesn't like the file, this is quite common for compiled Auto-It scripts.