It is currently April 20th, 2024, 3:25 am

My first week with Rainmeter - SimplePerfMeters

Skins that monitor system information
TGonZo

My first week with Rainmeter - SimplePerfMeters

Post by TGonZo »

Hi all,

Okay, so this is my first week with Rainmeter. I started with just some simple, no flashy, minimalist Performance Meters for the desktop. CPU/Mem/Disk/Network. These are things I wanted for myself to keep an eye on my system, and I wanted to see how Rainmeter works. So, I figured it would be more fun to just make what I wanted. I was using Sidebar, but never had exactly what I wanted.
SimplePerfMeters.jpg
There are several clickable locations on the meters. Clicking on any Histogram will start up the Performance Resource monitor. The idea is, you see a meter with high activity, click it to get quick access to the Resource monitor so you can investigate why it is happening.

CPUmem Meter
  • click CPU/TASK to start the Task Manager
    click RAM/SYS to open the Control Panel -> System information page
    click P/F to open the window where you can change your Page File
    the CPU bar meters will automatically show only the number of CPUs you have
    Pages/sec is when memory allocation went to disk, which slows the system
Network Meter
  • click Ext/Int IP address to open the Network and Sharing Center
Disk Meter
  • click the Drive Letter to open a Windows Explorer to that drive
    click Percent Used number to open the Disk Cleanup utility to that drive
    the Center Yellow bar is also space used
The Disk Meters are actually individual meters. I pre-made C-H. If you need more, just copy the meter dir to a new name, and then just change the drive letter variable to the next drive letter you need. Very simple.

I had a lot of fun with these Simple Meters. They work just fine for me. I may tweak them a bit from here, but they are pretty close to what I wanted.

Of course, I would REALLY like to have the autoscale histograms show the max for each display, but that will have to wait until that feature is added to Rainmeter. If it has not been added to the requested feature list, I would like to do that.

If anyone thinks this would be useful, please download and try it out.

Thanks all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TGonZo

Re: My first week with Rainmeter - SimplePerfMeters

Post by TGonZo »

Hi all,

I fixed a couple of small things, like only updating the String meter when doing a mouse over, instead of updating the whole meter. I'm still learning. Also added a simple date/time meter, and a simple volume control. The volume control was actually a bit of fun to make. It's simple buts works really well. I guess that's my thing. For the clickable items, I added a few changes for XP users. Well, that should do it for now.
SimplePerfMeters123.jpg
SimplePerfMeters_1.2.3.rmskin
Enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TGonZo

Re: My first week with Rainmeter - SimplePerfMeters

Post by TGonZo »

Okay, the title is now a bit off now. It's been awhile since my first week.

I have written a Lua script to display the Histogram Max display scale in the far right corners of all the Histograms on these skins. That's the main update. It was the last thing I wanted, and I just couldn't wait any longer. So I figured it out and created it.

Enjoy.