It is currently September 29th, 2024, 9:28 am

Really no software to download data for parsing?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Niemil

Really no software to download data for parsing?

Post by Niemil »

Still I really would like to access some websites where I've to login, and be able to parse out some data. But as the site doesn't use HTTP authentication or in any way can login as is required to parse what I need.

Thought that there must be some alternative that could be used? I've been googling for some week ago on this but haven't found any software that says to do this (to automatic login with my info, and then download the HTML page).

I thought if it maybe instead would be working if I use some kind of macro to do this? I seen AutoIT been used in skins, but wonder if that software can make a webpage load and login to me, and thereafter download the page so I can parse it, and do all this without disturbing the user, so it does it minimized.
Is that possible?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Really no software to download data for parsing?

Post by eclectic-tech »

Niemil wrote:Still I really would like to access some websites where I've to login, and be able to parse out some data. But as the site doesn't use HTTP authentication or in any way can login as is required to parse what I need.

Thought that there must be some alternative that could be used? I've been googling for some week ago on this but haven't found any software that says to do this (to automatic login with my info, and then download the HTML page).

I thought if it maybe instead would be working if I use some kind of macro to do this? I seen AutoIT been used in skins, but wonder if that software can make a webpage load and login to me, and thereafter download the page so I can parse it, and do all this without disturbing the user, so it does it minimized.
Is that possible?
"Better Late, than Never!" :sly:

I came across this auto-login-to-website article on MicroSoft's Technet, that might be of interest to you in regard to your request... it would need to be customized for each site, and may work for you, but it is at least something to explore.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You might be able to do something with cURL for Windows as well.
DollarD

Post by DollarD »

Well, I've been using the method described here:

https://github.com/MitchellMcKenna/twitter-rss-google-apps-script

To get my twitter timeline converted into RSS for Rainmeter to then fetch and display. If the website uses OAuth, this could be a solution. I've used that script as a base for getting data from other OAuth sources as well.

Also completely offloads the parsing to Google's servers, so less overhead locally. ;-)