It is currently April 19th, 2024, 8:44 pm

Gadgets 7.6.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Gadgets 7.2.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by SilverAzide »

digidog wrote: January 20th, 2022, 4:17 am I should have just tried it before submitting the post lol

Using a scaled radius that is the same in both Shape2 and Shape3 works like a charm !
Very nice! Perhaps I will steal some of your code for the next version of the Gadgets! ;-)
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
digidog

Post by digidog »

SilverAzide wrote: January 20th, 2022, 12:37 pm
Very nice! Perhaps I will steal some of your code for the next version of the Gadgets! ;-)
No need to steal LOL If you like I can zip up my folder and send it to you (all instances modified). Save you the trouble ... it sucked without knowing how to set up a script ... Although, as I discovered in pasting to my other machines it (naturally duh :? ) carried over settings for the original machine, so you would have to sanitize it. (I had to redo all the HWINFO stuff on 3 other computers)
digidog

Post by digidog »

I have been looking at this little sweetheart the past few days.... it is awfully tempting !!

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B094Z8MBHS/?coliid=IKN773ZJLK6HP&colid=3QSZIMTF7Q0UK&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wrapperNo1

Post by wrapperNo1 »

Hey SilverAzide,
Any chance the Clipboard Meter gets any improvements?
The original gadgets clipboard meter has been by far the most useful gadget even after the introduction of Windows 10's clipboard manager.
2 of the most notable features I miss are (a) the ability to scroll through the clipboard items by hovering the mouse pointer on top of the gadget and simply scrolling, when you stop scrolling, the selected item becomes the active item, and (b) content previews, including images.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

wrapperNo1 wrote: January 24th, 2022, 9:24 pm Hey SilverAzide,
Any chance the Clipboard Meter gets any improvements?
The original gadgets clipboard meter has been by far the most useful gadget even after the introduction of Windows 10's clipboard manager.
2 of the most notable features I miss are (a) the ability to scroll through the clipboard items by hovering the mouse pointer on top of the gadget and simply scrolling, when you stop scrolling, the selected item becomes the active item, and (b) content previews, including images.
Hello! Glad to hear you are enjoying the Gadgets!

Adding scrolling should work, although I suspect this would require altering the way the skin works. Right now, the "selected clip" is shown at the top of the list. The skin might need to change so the "selected clip" is anywhere in the stack, so you can move the highlight around with the mouse or scroll wheel. I'm not sure if the third-party clipboard plugin will support working this way, I'd need to investigate. That plugin is really old and isn't supported anymore, so it might not be possible.

As for previews, that might be quite a challenge for anything other than plaintext (which is currently shown in a tooltip). I'd have to think about this one a bit... it might not be practical.
wrapperNo1

Post by wrapperNo1 »

SilverAzide wrote: January 24th, 2022, 10:40 pm Hello! Glad to hear you are enjoying the Gadgets!

Adding scrolling should work, although I suspect this would require altering the way the skin works. Right now, the "selected clip" is shown at the top of the list. The skin might need to change so the "selected clip" is anywhere in the stack, so you can move the highlight around with the mouse or scroll wheel. I'm not sure if the third-party clipboard plugin will support working this way, I'd need to investigate. That plugin is really old and isn't supported anymore, so it might not be possible.

As for previews, that might be quite a challenge for anything other than plaintext (which is currently shown in a tooltip). I'd have to think about this one a bit... it might not be practical.
Thanks for the quick response and consideration. I'm really loving your version of the gadgets, and how fast you incorporated my previous feedback regarding the CPU Meter, it's perfect now!
Take your time, no hurry. There was one other feature I'm missing which I think should be the easiest to implement, which is the ability to retain the clipboard entry after a restart. In the original clipboard meter, this was an option that you could enable or disable, and would retain all entries even after windows restart. It's very useful to allow easy retrieval of frequently needed clips.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

wrapperNo1 wrote: January 25th, 2022, 1:51 pm Thanks for the quick response and consideration. I'm really loving your version of the gadgets, and how fast you incorporated my previous feedback regarding the CPU Meter, it's perfect now!
Take your time, no hurry. There was one other feature I'm missing which I think should be the easiest to implement, which is the ability to retain the clipboard entry after a restart. In the original clipboard meter, this was an option that you could enable or disable, and would retain all entries even after windows restart. It's very useful to allow easy retrieval of frequently needed clips.
Saving the clipboard is definitely not supported by the plugin. To implement something like this would require a different plugin. I'm not sure of any Rainmeter skins that use something else; all the ones I've seen (including mine and Eclectic-Tech's original upon which mine is based) use the one here, which is pretty ancient ...and pretty glitchy. :(
wrapperNo1

Post by wrapperNo1 »

SilverAzide wrote: January 25th, 2022, 8:53 pm Saving the clipboard is definitely not supported by the plugin. To implement something like this would require a different plugin. I'm not sure of any Rainmeter skins that use something else; all the ones I've seen (including mine and Eclectic-Tech's original upon which mine is based) use the one here, which is pretty ancient ...and pretty glitchy. :(
Oh, this is such a shame :-(
The clipboard manager is the only gadget I used to have on my desktop beside your gadgets. My system drive recently died and I had to reinstall everything from scratch, but I'm now reluctant to install the old - and unsupported - windows gadgets application for this single gadget. I gave yours a try again, and even checked the other clipboard gadgets you referred to, but none of them come even close to the old one. I now understand why they all share the same limitations, because they all use the same plugin.

I'm too much of a rust bucket to develop something like this myself. I guess I'll just have to reinstall the old gadget until someone comes up with a solution :(

Thank you for all the help and great work nonetheless :thumbup:
Bob_Rosenberg

Re: Gadgets 7.1.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by Bob_Rosenberg »

SilverAzide wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 4:16 pm Hello! This sometime happens, [.....] Fortunately, this is really easy to fix.

You have two options, both should work. Using Notepad or your preferred editor, open the CalendarVariables.inc file, which is typically found here:
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Gadgets\@Resources\CalendarVariables.inc

Near the bottom of the file, you'll find two variables, DayLabels and MonthLabels. Your DayLabels appears OK, but MonthLabels is messed up. Your first option is to set it to blank, save the file, and refresh the Calendar. It will attempt to reconfigure the labels again, which hopefully should work. If it doesn't, or if you prefer to just set the variable yourself, set the variable as follows:

Code: Select all

MonthLabels=Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sep|Oct|Nov|Dec
Let me know if you have any additional issues!
This worked well.
Same problem - appeared at the beginning of the year. I wonder what is getting corrupted to make this happen? In years past, it fixed itself on Feb 1. This time I checked the Forums, and you have the answer!

Thank you!
Bob Rosenberg
I think I'm an Engineer, therefore I am.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Bob_Rosenberg wrote: January 27th, 2022, 7:31 pm This worked well.
Same problem - appeared at the beginning of the year. I wonder what is getting corrupted to make this happen? In years past, it fixed itself on Feb 1. This time I checked the Forums, and you have the answer!

Thank you!
Glad it worked for you! While a number of users have reported this issue, I've never been able to figure out why it happens. I've never had it happen to me. The month and day abbreviations are set using a PowerShell command that grabs the locale-specific values from Windows, so it should not matter when or where this runs. My guess is that it can somehow fail, so what you see as Chinese-symbol gibberish, is actually a Unicode-encoded error message displayed as ANSI text.
:confused:

If anyone runs into this error and wants to debug it, open a PowerShell prompt and enter following the command:

Code: Select all

[Console]::OutputEncoding = New-Object -TypeName System.Text.UnicodeEncoding; ((Get-Culture).DateTimeFormat.AbbreviatedMonthNames[0..11]) -Join '|'
The output value should look something like this: Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sep|Oct|Nov|Dec. Obviously, this is not always the case, for some unknown reason.